• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

Popeye?

Started by Jdmcfast, October 20, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This is my understanding of HITH.  If I'm wrong someone needs to correct me.  My knowledge comes from Discus. 

It starts with a little pit in the head and then progresses.  It's thought to be parasitic in nature since hex is found in it.  There is usually an underlying problem with water quality.   

Apparently healthy fish don't just up and die.  (Well, they do once in a blue moon.  It's only happened to me twice in almost 12 years).  You must have seen something amiss!(?).  It takes a long time for fish to die of HITH.  It takes them a long time to die of intestinal hex.  Intestional Hex makes them uninterested in food, but you say yours are eating well.

It appears that you do have a problem with hex.  I hope that you are doing your metro at the rate of 400mg per 10 gallons daily.  You can't go lower than 250mg daily if you want to see results.  This is a very safe drug on the fish and the parasite is developing immunity to it.

You may have other problems that I can't identify since I'm not there to look at them.  If I were to see pictures I might be able to spot something.  I suggest that you change a ton of water with water of the same parameters as the tank water, and keep up the metro in the water.  It works just fine added to the water rather than the food, and by adding it to the water you know that every fish is getting an effective dose.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

I have been doing 1/4 teaspoon per 10g in water and feeding food with metro also. 25-30% WC daily

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 31, 2012, 05:45:19 PM
I have been doing 1/4 teaspoon per 10g in water and feeding food with metro also. 25-30% WC daily

Posted using tapatalk 2

Are you saying I should do more than that?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

I don't know the concentration of the stuff you're using.  I use pure metro at the rate of 400 mg per 10 gallons daily in a BB tank with huge WC daily.  Treatment lasts for 10 days.

I can't understand why you had fish just up and die on you.  Something I don't know ain't right.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

I don't get it either, but since the one of them in a different tank for head lesion and died I'm assuming something got contaminated somehow. None of it makes any sense I've been to the sellers house and looked good at the tank they came out of and everything looked great all of his other fish are good. I'm wondering if the bucket he had them in before I transferred to my clean bucket had something? I don't know!:o:'(:o:'(

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Jo

So sorry for you fish loss Josh! What a bummer! :(
Jo