• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:13:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 384
Total: 384

Popeye?

Started by Jdmcfast, October 20, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Net the fish out and put it in a tank by itself.  Do daily large WCs with water that is of the same temp and parameters as the water in it's tank.  You might want to give 1 tablespoon of epsom salts per 10 gallons for 1 day.  It might help or might not.  If it doesn't, I wouldn't continue with it.

This could be bacterial.  If it is I would advise against raising the temp of the tank.

Have you sent these pics to the guy you bought the fish from?  If not, you should.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

sorry I didn't clarify this very well earlier but I did pull the fish out and put it in a 10 gallon tank by itself. and I just did a 50 percent water change in clean the bottom really well.

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

b125killer

What would cause popeye?
Scott

Jdmcfast

From what I understand it is a symptom not a disease itself so it could several different things including bacterial infection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Jdmcfast

Well I thought he was getting better I did a water change when I got home and added a small amount of melafix and now he looks worse. He is getting a huge bump on his nose and what apears to be several small holes in one side if his head!:'(

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Jdmcfast

Does anyone have any ideas of what this is or how to treat it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

BillT

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 21, 2012, 07:38:37 PM
From what I understand it is a symptom not a disease itself so it could several different things including bacterial infection

Correct. Besides a bacterial infection, it can be caused by gas supersaturation (gas bubble disease) and brain tumors (pushing the eye out of its socket as the tumors growth takes up more space in the skull). These were diagnosed by fish vets in the lab.

b125killer

Poor guys not looking very good. Hope he pulls through it.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Hole in the head is caused by an internal parasite called Heximita.  It is treated with metronidazole at 400mg per 10 gallons  for 10 days.   Do a 90% WC daily and re dose.  Hole in the head is hard to clear up.  You may need to repeat the treatment several times. 

My guess is that this fish had a heavy load of parasites which weakened it's immune system.  Transporting the fish may have tipped it over the edge.  The first symptom you saw was the pop eye, but it was just a result of the fish being in a weakened state.  Then you saw the holes which are due to the parasite itself.

I think that treatment will cost more that the value of the fish and may not be successful.   I'm not a fish doc.  I'm sure that there are people here who know more than I.  Hopefully, they'll have something to say.

What does the poo look like in the rest of the fish?  At least in Discus, the first sympotm of Heximita is white poo.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 24, 2012, 07:46:57 AM
Hole in the head is caused by an internal parasite called Heximita.  It is treated with metronidazole at 400mg per 10 gallons  for 10 days.   Do a 90% WC daily and re dose.  Hole in the head is hard to clear up.  You may need to repeat the treatment several times. 

My guess is that this fish had a heavy load of parasites which weakened it's immune system.  Transporting the fish may have tipped it over the edge.  The first symptom you saw was the pop eye, but it was just a result of the fish being in a weakened state.  Then you saw the holes which are due to the parasite itself.

I think that treatment will cost more that the value of the fish and may not be successful.   I'm not a fish doc.  I'm sure that there are people here who know more than I.  Hopefully, they'll have something to say.

What does the poo look like in the rest of the fish?  At least in Discus, the first sympotm of Heximita is white poo.

I was worried about that they did have some white poo for a while they seller said it may be because he fed them mysis shrimp. It has seemed to have cleared up but I'm watching close. I got recommended to treat with marycen 2 on TAF so I started a treatment of both marycen and marycen 2 last night. If it is bacterial that should help if not then it's either to late or parasitic:'(
Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Jdmcfast

My wife just text me that he died!:'(
That really sucks I hope I'm getting to the rest of then soon enough!

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

That's too bad...hopefully you can save the rest....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Quote from: Jdmcfast on October 25, 2012, 12:10:35 PM
My wife just text me that he died!:'(
That really sucks I hope I'm getting to the rest of then soon enough!

Posted using tapatalk 2

Oh so sorry Josh!!!!
Jo

Jdmcfast

Thanks Me too! She was a beautiful fish.
Jo did you get my pm?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh