• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 266
Total: 267

Popeye?

Started by Jdmcfast, October 20, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Ok I got 11 new adult angels today and the guy I got them from already had them in a bucket when I got there. Well anyways when I got home and put them in a tank one of them looks to have popeye. I called the guy and he said they looked good when he put them in. I have got fish several times from him before and they have always been great. So is this something that could happen in a bucket with 10 other angels or should I start treating him now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

P4Angels

Do you have a picture of the angel in question.   Sounds to me like it might have happened when he was netting them but a picture would make it easier to clarify.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Jdmcfast

Posted using tapatalk 2
Josh

P4Angels

I would definitely get him out of that tank before the rest of them get it. It would be better to be safe then sorry. What I have done in the past is give the fish a salt bath 1 tsp per gallon.  Then place in a hospital tank w/o a light. Clean water conditions will help a lot. Good food and I found medicated food can do wonders. I have had pop eye improve in a day. After a huge w/c change and then I fed medicated food and it just got better and better. 
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

b125killer

that poor angel. What medicated food would you give it?
Scott

Jdmcfast

Yes what kind of medicated food do you use? The only anti-bacterial food I have is some jungle crap and nothing will ever eat it

Josh

P4Angels

We have not had that in some time and what ever we used was from a mom and pop's store in IOWA.   I would check with one of the big box pet stores or local F/S and see what they recommend. 

P4Angels2

You don't have to actually feed it anything for a couple of days. Just make sure that you turn the heat up in your hospital tank and no light on it either.

Rjb3

Add pure garlic powder to the medicated food. Not garilc salt, pure garlic powder. It should help make them eat it.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 21, 2012, 05:31:54 AM
Add pure garlic powder to the medicated food. Not garilc salt, pure garlic powder. It should help make them eat it.

yeppers, I've heard that it helps too....you can,also, try to dissolve the garlic in water and 'lightly' spray the food on a paper towel....let dry well and feed....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Thanks for the responses I'll give it a shot

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Rjb3

I know it (garlic) makes them want to eat it, but I've also heard garlic produces an environment inside your fish that parasites can't live in. No parasites here, so it must work.

Jdmcfast

So what temp should I leave him at? I have it set at 82.5 now. He still won't eat. I read that Epsom salt can help pull the fluid out has anyone had experience with this?

Josh

Mugwump

I'd increase aeration......epsom salt may work, but mostly to clear the bowels, I believe...keep the bottom free of poo, if ya can....water changes,water changes,water changes, will help tremendously
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

You're doing what you can. When we're sick, we don't eat like we should either. Fingers crossed.