• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 02:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

micro worms

Started by b125killer, August 18, 2013, 08:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

My wife is mad at me. It seems I can't find a good spot to git rid of old micro worm cultures. I tried to put them in the garbage outside. it stunk up the neighbor hood. So the next time i figured I would dump them in the garbage disposal. She really didn't like that one at all.
I think I'm getting use to the smell it didn't seem that bad to me.
Scott

Mugwump

How water, and rinse the container and sink with mild soapy water.....rinse well  ;D....and don't let her watch....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

You might try a composting them.
I put mine down a sink without a garbage disposal. An alternative might be the toilet (with the bathroom fan on).

I have been growing microworms (Walter worms actually) in relatively large amounts for many years now and have noticed that the cultures go through a series of different increasingly bad smells and increasingly difficult to clean up cultures. My cultures first smell like old sneakers (kind of yeasty), followed by a strong ammonia smell, followed by what I like to refer to as a dead body smell. The dead body smell cultures often have a fungus going and can get kind of hardened into a mass by the mycelia (sp?) (fungal filaments under the surface).

In a closed container the smell is somewhat contained but not during cleaning.
I just set up new cultures and get rid of cultures when they get ammonia smelling.

I have a friend who just throws a new layer of food on top of the old culture. This reduces the smell in the short run but to bottom layers get really nasty smelling and forms more of a mass that is more difficult to get down the drain.