• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 235
Total: 236

Going Away

Started by wsantia1, December 21, 2013, 11:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I am going away for the Christmas holiday.  I will be gone about 5 days.  In the past when I've gone away I usually put one of those vacation blocks in tanks and that worked quite well. 

This time I have a couple of tanks full of nickel sized juveniles and I'm probably going to do the same thing. 

My neighbor offered to feed them for me and I  politely declined. LOL. ;D

My question is what do guys do when you go away for a few days?  BTW I also have some new free swimmers that will probably be dinner for my mana x pair but.... :(
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I do a good water change, feed well....turn off the lights, and go...they're good ...for the new free swimmers..leave the tank light on...throw in some duckweed, they'll forage the micro organisms..

I agree, LOL....neighbors are a no no....

I may have to rethink about those feeder blocks for some...like BN's and BN fry....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I take glassine envelopes (I'm a former stamp collector!) and put the exact amount of flake food in it for one feeding per day, mark the envelop with a sharpie with the date to be fed, then tape it to the front of the tank in sequence of feeding dates, then get my trusted neighbor to feed them daily or every 2 days. This goes for fry as well.

If it's just for 1-3 days I do nothing.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

My Dad was a Philatelist too. He was always on the lookout for older stamps and envelopes. He had a very nice chess collection too.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I clean the tanks/water changes, change the timers on the lights to just a few hours per day and leave.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Thanks for the feedback.  Since I'll be gone less than a week I'll do a big water change tomorrow, leave the timers set for only a couple of hours in the evening and leave.  I've left them much longer before.  My biggest concern was with the juveniles in the grow out tanks.  I think they are big enough to be alright for a few days.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 21, 2013, 01:47:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  Since I'll be gone less than a week I'll do a big water change tomorrow, leave the timers set for only a couple of hours in the evening and leave.  I've left them much longer before.  My biggest concern was with the juveniles in the grow out tanks.  I think they are big enough to be alright for a few days.

Sounds like a plan  ;D...
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on December 21, 2013, 12:24:55 PM
My Dad was a Philatelist too. He was always on the lookout for older stamps and envelopes. He had a very nice chess collection too.

I wish I knew a good way to sell my accumulation for a reasonable price.  Maybe I should make that this year's project. What has your Dad done with his?  Maybe you can give me some ideas!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Dad is gone now, but he sold the collection whole to a buyer from the Marshall Fields chain....try one of those outfits for a price....now days, if you have a good inventory of it..you might even try Ebay..??
Jon

PaulineMi

My Dad sold his to a private collector.  You may be able to Google a club in your area and go from there.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 21, 2013, 04:51:34 PM
My Dad sold his to a private collector.  You may be able to Google a club in your area and go from there.

Another good idea...they might even have some forums??...be wary of the cheap bid...LOL

try google..something like value of 'overland route series' or 'Pan American Stamp Series of 1901', etc...then start a tally to get some idea of the collection..

try here too....

http://www.apfelbauminc.com/Selling.htm
Jon