• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 10:53:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,317
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

would fish like turkey?

Started by Mugwump, November 27, 2013, 08:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..white meat, of course....they like beef heart, right?.. ;D...chopped/ground chunky?..I'm sure they would. Some folks use turkey, in lieu of beef heart, for food mix.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I would think that you would have to be selective about what kinds of warm blooded animal meat you fed to cold blooded fish. Fish being cold blooded have a lower body temperature than mammals and birds. Many fats from warm blooded animals will be solid at fish body temperatures. This would make these fats very difficult to digest and might clog up a fish's digestive tract. Problems would probably more likely if the fats are in big globs in the tissues.

I would guess beef heart works well because it is a low fat tissue.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on November 28, 2013, 12:41:04 AM
I would think that you would have to be selective about what kinds of warm blooded animal meat you fed to cold blooded fish. Fish being cold blooded have a lower body temperature than mammals and birds. Many fats from warm blooded animals will be solid at fish body temperatures. This would make these fats very difficult to digest and might clog up a fish's digestive tract. Problems would probably more likely if the fats are in big globs in the tissues.

I would guess beef heart works well because it is a low fat tissue.

I know Liz and Josie use it for discus, and some others too. Turkey breast is as low,if not lower, in fat content..I dug up this link...I'd think that the darker turkey/chicken parts would be higher tho...I was wondering about other fish...angels, various fry, etc too

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-97169.html
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The Discus love it.  The Angels not so much.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 28, 2013, 08:20:01 AM
The Discus love it.  The Angels not so much.

I'm sure our Raphael's would love it....
Jon

b125killer

Back when I had piranhas I would feed them chicken breast.
Scott