• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 12:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 210
Total: 210

I have 14 empty tanks

Started by LizStreithorst, July 13, 2019, 02:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It's almost spooky to go to the fish room and see just 4 tanks with fish.  When my little breeding project slam failed I gave up on Angels.  I have one breeding pair and 2 spawns growing out and when they are gone I'll have no Angels at all.

I took 50 angels of various sizes to my LPS this morning.  Twee, the female owner wants me to keep breeding because they like buying from me more than from the wholesaler.  I told her that I was waiting for my Discus to start breeding.  She was excited.  But she doesn't know how much it cost for me to raise Discus to 3" for what they pay them from the wholesaler.  Besides, Discus don't sell like hot cakes in this neck of the woods.

I'm considering buy a group of high coverage red koi veils.  All I want to do is raise them for Twee and Ken so that we can keep up our relationship.  Angels are less expensive to raise than Discus and maybe I'd break even on what they cost to raise and what I get for them.

The Discus will be harder.  I keep waiting for pairs to form and nothing keeps happening.  It's driving me crazy.  If the 5 that are a hair's breath from showing pairing behavior turn out to be all males I will want to punch a hole in a wall, but I won't.  I have a nice group of juvies in another 100 gallon, and surely their will be both males and females.

All my Discus that are a hair's breath from breeding age are all of my own breeding except for their own daddy who was a show quality fish when he was in his prime. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Down to 4 tanks? Wow Liz. I know you were trying to slow down a bit so I will say congrats. I have 14 tanks running and I am going to downsize in number but increase in gallons. I want to go ten 75s and my 150 fatboy.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Well, I do have a planted 125  with mostly Rainbow Fish and a planted 30 for shrimp, neons and  L144 snots but those tanks are in the office and have nothing to do with breeding.  They only get one feeding a day and 70% WC weekly.  I don't count them.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 13, 2019, 03:25:48 PM
Well, I do have a planted 125  with mostly Rainbow Fish and a planted 30 for shrimp, neons and  L144 snots but those tanks are in the office and have nothing to do with breeding.  They only get one feeding a day and 70% WC weekly.  I don't count them.

I really like the Rainbow Fish. How are the shrimp doing for you? I tried to do shrimp but they die on me. My water is probably too soft.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Both of those tanks are doing great.  Plants are healthy and green  in both.  The shrimpies constantly have babies.