• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 06:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

TDS and pH

Started by PaulineMi, August 12, 2013, 07:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I was looking up info on the effects of moving fish from a tank with high TDS to one with a lower TDS.  My aged RO/tap mix reaches the same pH as the tanks it's going into.  I have slowly been lowering the TDS but the pH hasn't been affected.

I've read both anecdotal and scientific stuff explaining that going from low pH to higher pH is okay.  However now I'm finding that it's actually the TDS change that causes problems and that fish can handle pH changes of even 2 as opposed to the no more than .5 normally accepted. It seems that both schools of thought are based on the osmotic pressure changes.

I'll go look for some links to articles I read yesterday. In the meantime I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the two schools of thought. I'd be inclined to think that they go hand in hand if I didn't see a big change in TDS but none in pH with my RO blend. I have a friend who experiences the same thing.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

PaulineMi

Here's one of many articles I've found that addresses osmotic shock and TDS:

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3480
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've read some similar articles, Pauline. My feeling is that there are most likely more things that will affect the tds, than PH. If we forget the PH difference, if not radical, what will the fish experience first?.....real high tds difference is immediately noticed by the fish, lower tds differences should be like a 'breath of fresh air'.....wouldn't you think??

your article talks of low PH fish and water...acidic....there, yes, it would be more of a concern
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Different fish can tolerate different kinds of changes.
Some fish are able to take rather large osmotic changes (consider brackish fish in a estuary during a tidal change or salmon going upstream from sea to river).

I regularly take young juvenile danios and and transfer them from conductivity of 10500 ?S to 500 ?S over period of an hour.