• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 314
Total: 316

Brine shrimp hatchery set up..

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2012, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Back to brine shrimp hatchery set ups.  You can't beat the cheap base available an any fish store with a 2 liter bottle for value.  I have fancy expensive cone shaped ones, and they are no better. 
I put mine on the counter top.  Some people think they need to be warmer.  Some people think they need light!  I've found that not to be the case.  Mine always hatch in 12 hrs and are ready to feed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Dang.....12hrs is a quick hatch....temp's do play in the time to hatch, around 80degs is best...I use real good eggs and they'll hatch in about 14-16hrs...for the real small 'newly' hatched... normally tho, I harvest at about 20hrs.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Chia Seeds Direct is where I got them. However, they are whole seeds. They gum up the grinder. I scoped out another source that sells them powdered.  They were $12 more for the same four pounds, but it'll be worth it to have them already powdered. I'll look for it.

Or, I could bring ya some seeds and you could gum up your grinder. LOL Seriously, I've got a couple pounds left. Let me put them on the bring Jon & Jan list.

LizStreithorst

It could be more that 12 hrs.  When I have fry, I start 2 BS hatcheries about 12 hrs apart.  When it gets to the point where I see the BS haven't hatched when I need them, I start a third.  When I have fry I want the food to fall in front of their mouths to the point they have to take a stab at it even if they're full.  I can get away with it because as a Discus person, I'm a water changin' fool.

My hatcheries are in my fish room.  The room is warm and humid.  I like warm and humid and the BS appear to enjoy it, too.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Thanks, Bob..... 8)

Liz, that nice warm room in awful nice in winter. isn't it?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

You bet, Jon. I guess I got off topic a little. What made me think of it was talking to a fellow a couple years ago that worked at the Shedd Aquarium. He was breeding Moon jellyfish to feed the Sea Turtles. He introduced hufas to the bbs he fed to the jellyfish. I didn't stop experimenting until I figured out a way to put the hufas in micro worms. It's amazing the people you meet in this fish hobby of ours.

Jo

I've never done this and would really like to for my angelfish. Lots of info here to help thanks everyone!
Jo