• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 514
Total: 514

MOM AND POP STORE

Started by ilroost, August 03, 2013, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

Went to a new lfs a couple days ago to check it out.Thought i would buy something to help out the local store.
But man everything was way over priced, and when i say way i mean way overpriced.
I know they are going to be a little higher than the chain stores and i'm all for paying a little more to help them out, but WOW.
The food i buy for $16.00 was $34.00. air stones that cost .99cent was $3.94.
These are a few examples, fish were crazy priced also.
I was wondering what everybody else thought of this.Would you have spent the money and bought something or would you have left empty handed like i did

b125killer

We have a locally owned lfs that does the same thing. Pluse there tanks look bad. I wouldn't spend that much money for something I could get for half the price.  I do understand they may need to mark up the price.  But they also need to stay close to other prices too. It would also be nice if they cleaned there tanks. I wouldn't buy a fish from them to save my life.
Scott

Mugwump

When you can get food from Capt'n Bob, or online somewhere for much less, and fish even on Aquabid cheaper than the lfs...it's not worth spending your money there. We've had a couple here and they've been reasonable.....and went out of business....sad..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I don't mind helping out the small local fish stores. Heck i would pay a little more, but they were just crazy on the prices

PaulineMi

Sadly it's oftentimes the people who are just starting out in the hobby who don't realize these prices are waaaay too high.  They either walk away discouraged by the cost of fish keeping or find out later that they paid too much.  (That was what happened to me when I started out.)

In some cases it might be worthwhile to let "mom & pop" know that their prices aren't in a range that would allow more customers support their business. If they just don't care then bargains can be had at their going-out-of-business sale.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

You're right Pauline, I've often wondered how many new hobbyists were discouraged by the prices at the lfs's. I try to encourage new hobbyists and will even give bags of fish away, to get them started. It's the twinkle in their eyes that makes it all worth while.  ;D
   I've sold to a local shop that has opened and closed three times; Dan loves the hobby, and understands what it takes to encourage new fish keepers. Every time he reopens, those folks form a line outside to greet him and do business. He buys mostly all his fish from local breeders too.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

The problem is that most people don't know that there are local breeders. They can't understand that the lfs is way overpriced. I give fish and equipment away all the time.(I have to hear about it from the wife. ;D) For me it's not about money it's the joy I get from breeding.
If people did a little research they could find great deals on fish stuff.
A good example. I didn't know what a sponge filter was until I met Jon. If it wasn't for him explaining what they do and how much cheaper they are to buy and run, all my tanks would have hob filters or canister filters. That would make the electric bill sky high and I probably wouldn't breed fish. You can't buy a sponge filter at the lfs. I have asked and they look at me like i'm the idiot. Truth is they would rather sell the big canister and hob filters plus all the media your going to need for the life of the filter.         
Scott