• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 312
Total: 313

So is Liz going to....

Started by Mugwump, July 18, 2013, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

That's great. Best of luck with them
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

They ain't fry to me until the free swim and attach.  I'll be on pins and needles.  This is a nice young pair of F1 Cuipeau.  The female is especially nice, but she has yellow eyes.  The male overall isn't as good, but he has one perfect red eye and one yellow.    I need the red eye. 

I didn't used to care much for the wild types.  My tastes have changed.  They have a subtle beauty that the highly refined strains lack.  And these are extremely well shaped for F1's.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Agreed..the wild types bring a simple beauty ......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I agree.  I think, in most cases, it's a taste that's developed over time with experience.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Barb

That;s good news Liz, hope they do well!
Barb

LizStreithorst

I am so hopeful, but I can't let myself count my chickens before they're hatched.  These guys just started wiggling this morning.  One can't expect for everything to progress as one hopes.  Don't ask me how I know.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

parents still guarding them.

LizStreithorst

I expect the wigglers to go free swimming tomorrow.  I have to replace cracked glass on two 100's  that I got from Boozer.  I'll be in the fish room all day today and tomorrow so I won't miss the event.  The pair is young.  This is the first time they've even seen wigglers.  What they'll think when the little guys start to free swim and eat off their sides?  I'm on pins and needles.

Mugwump

Cool...fry and first time parents...awesome  !!....
Jon

LizStreithorst

They ain't fry to me until they free swim and attach.  From laying to attachment I can do little but have faith in the parents. 

The fun starts for me around 3 weeks after attachment.  That's when I do my first cull.  It's not a fun job, but it makes you look hard at your fish, and the results of your hard hardheartedness is worth the pain.  I hate to cull, but I love the results.  I guess that's part of what makes me a breeder.

Look at me.  I'm being too optimistic.  I don't even have attachment and I'm already looking forward to my first cull...

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 17, 2013, 02:00:28 PM
They ain't fry to me until they free swim and attach.  From laying to attachment I can do little but have faith in the parents. 

The fun starts for me around 3 weeks after attachment.  That's when I do my first cull.  It's not a fun job, but it makes you look hard at your fish, and the results of your hard hardheartedness is worth the pain.  I hate to cull, but I love the results.  I guess that's part of what makes me a breeder.

Look at me.  I'm being too optimistic.  I don't even have attachment and I'm already looking forward to my first cull...

Optimistic???....naw....just a trained eye knowing the path to good results  ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

Liz do keep sharing your thoughts and progress with us.  You're keeping it exciting...I feel a little bit like a relative waiting for a birth.

LizStreithorst

b125killer

Good luck with them. I don't like to cull. It's hard for me to do it still. I put them in the culling department and let my other fish take care of it. For some reason I find that better. That way I'm not the one doing the dirty work. 
Scott