• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

Anubias

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2012, 09:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Anubias, most notably the varying forms of A. barteri,[3] are commonly used in aquariums, usually attached to rocks or bogwood. In contrast to most plants, Anubias generally prefer subdued lighting and can also produce flowers underwater. In the aquarium they should be placed in shaded areas, otherwise algae will develop on the leaves.

Anubias are considered by many aquarists some of the easiest plants to maintain, since their light and nutrient requirements are very low and also because herbivorous fish will not eat it (with a few exceptions). This is why Anubias are some of the few plants which can be used in aquariums with African cichlids and goldfishes.

Reproduction in artificial environments can be accomplished by stolon division or from side shoots. The stolon must always be above the substrate in order to survive, otherwise it will rot and the plant dies. It is also possible to propagate Anubias by seed.[4]

The natural growth rate of all species in this genus is rather slow. Usually, they produce a leaf every 3 weeks, or even slower. And while they were once thought to be among the few plants that do not respond to CO2 addition, hobbyists have seen great results and improved growth with CO2 and high light intensity.

The most commonly available species of this genus is Anubias barteri Schott, which is very polymorphic and is subdivided into several varieties. The biggest representatives of the genus are Anubias gigantea Chevalier ex Hutchinson and Anubias heterophylla Engler. Their leaf-stems can grow up to 83 cm, with leaves 40 cm long and 14 cm broad with lateral lobes up to 28 cm long and 10 cm broad. The smallest representative is Anubias barteri var. nana (Engler) Crusio, with a height up to 10 cm and with leaves up to 6 cm long and 3 cm broad.

Anubias can best be grown emerse (above water). For this reason they may be used in paludariums.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

I (oh sorry honey) WE (see next post) had a piece that was no kidding 3 feet long....  I just got done cutting it into small enough chunks to fit in some of my other tanks.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

P4Angels2

I had a piece that was no kidding 3 feet long....should be we

Mugwump

They can take off and really grow, that's for sure....we have a some dwarf anubias that hasn't gotten real tall, but is getting bush like in appearance...angels love it..cory's too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Just curious, anyone use a real good source for Anubias..??...I like the dwarf too...
Jon

b125killer

I have a dwarf that is growing more like a bush too. I also have one that is growing tall. The last place I got any plants from where at a swap. The dwarf was given too me when I got some plants off ebay. all of them didn't make it but the dwarf is doing good. when I got that   
the anubias it look like half dead. I couldn't even tell what it was. I'm surprised that any of them plants made it. I wasn't set up to grow plants when i got them. 
Scott

ilroost

got some at the last auction. Still have a nice one just floating in a tank as i don't have anywhere to plant it.
If only you was closer jon you could have it

Mugwump

Thanks, I know our regular plant guy sold out early last swap...I didn't even get a chance to check out his table... ;D..another swap coming up...I'll make sure that I look em over this time..
Jon

ilroost

there is a lady on aquabid her name is holly(hca75) that has some nice ones. she lives down by st. louis(staunton).She is a member of MASI fish club. I know she could hook you up

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on February 16, 2013, 06:34:01 PM
there is a lady on aquabid her name is holly(hca75) that has some nice ones. she lives down by st. louis(staunton).She is a member of MASI fish club. I know she could hook you up

Thanx, that's good to know...I'll take a look..
Jon

Rjb3

I'll vouch for Holly. She's good people.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on February 16, 2013, 06:45:22 PM
I'll vouch for Holly. She's good people.

Can't get a better reference than you two guys......
Jon

ilroost

right now they are having the saturday night auctions going on on aquabid. go there and look at the 1 hr auctions.

Rjb3

Yup. They call it "SNE". Saturday Night Express.