• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,317
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Rid-X

Started by Mugwump, July 14, 2013, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

C9-11 Alcohols Ethoxylate is not good to ingest. In fact, it's toxic to aquatic life. Also, the main ingredient is wheat germ. That means it will cloud the water and kill the fish.

Proteins, enzymes and amino acids are necessary. That's the reason fish foods contain things like: Krill, Spirulina, (brown) micro algae, and Garlic. Example: Vitamin C is also necessary. However, too much vitamin C is not good. My vitamin C experiments were with micro worms. I wanted the worms to supply a high amount of the vitamin for the fry that would eat them. 500 mg per pound in the media was good. 500 mg per culture stopped them from reproducing. It all boils down to enough is good, more is not better.

Mugwump

They must not have enough of the additive in order for it to react badly with just fish poop, etc....in the MFK threads, folks are using it without problems. Could the Cp-11 be a sleeper reaction down the road??.....so far, their use has been free of problems......water changes,etc are continued and perhaps that nullifies any issues???....scan the thread to see if you pick up anything...thanks...that's the kind of thing that can pop up on trying new things.....odd, Seachem 'cycle' and 'start' are made with some of the same items......this is getting more interesting....hmmmmm

note, they even mention fish ingesting some of the product...others pre mix, or add to a replacement carbon filter sleeve, like a tea bag...and let it mix in that way......somethings not making it lethal to plants or fish...even BN's and cory's...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I just went by the MSDS info. The manufacturer of the product says it's made for sewer systems, but I see in the MSDS sheet not to dispose of alcohols ethoxylate into the sewer system. Carcinogen and reproductive hazards to humans. Wash your hands after handling. Don't get it in your eyes. The list goes on. I'm thinking I don't want that in my fish tank.

The folks feeding Trout Chow know how much waste is created in the tank by its use. I say there are foods that create less waste, let's feed those instead. I will not rant about how Trout Chow is not tropical fish food because Trout are fish. I'm just saying it's designed for something else, and so is Rid-X.

BallAquatics

In the words of Bert Lance...  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on July 14, 2013, 08:05:21 PM
I use Poo Be Gone.

I spray in a bit in the morning and the turds twinkle a bit and poof...gone.

Seriously though. Why would a Plumber with 34 years of field experience in industrial turd smuggling technology be designing and constructing a $5 K plus central filtration system with 18 denitrification reactor towers if a sprinkle of fairly dust would work?

Never close your eyes when walking barefoot behind a horse drawn carriage with no dew bucket in place.

Frank, do you sell the PooBeGon?  I've been growing weary of WCs.  PooBeGon would make fish keeping maintence free.  All I'd have to do is top off the tanks with RO ;)
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Thanks for chiming in folks. I'm a water change guy, and don't plan on trying it, but 'live and learn'...there must be something there...good or bad.....I'm watching and searching for more info to see where this all pans out.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

There are similar products that are aquarium safe.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BallAquatics

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on July 15, 2013, 07:02:32 AM
There are similar products that are aquarium safe.

Yea, Dr. Tim's got all kinds of bacteria..... 

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

PaulineMi

Jon...... lol.    ;D ;D ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 15, 2013, 04:42:06 PM
Jon...... lol.    ;D ;D ;D

LOL..first thought that ran through my head...'Welcome back, my friends to the show that never ends....."

One of my favorite albums by ELP.....
Jon

Frank The Plumber

The concept is not wrong it is that it should be naturally occurring. It all needs oxygen. Most situations are the result of poor gas exchange in the system.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Of course, it's all about the water,aeration/gases/etal....but if there's an edge to be had by using a proper minimal dose, then it could be a good thing for a knowledgeable keeper to consider. Think of it as a possible vaccination?
Jon

BallAquatics

My fish have always done their best when I didn't try to play mad scientist and add stuff to the tank.....  Besides that, if my fish did any better I simply wouldn't know what to do as I don't have enough tanks for all of them now.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 15, 2013, 08:21:19 PM
My fish have always done their best when I didn't try to play mad scientist and add stuff to the tank.....  Besides that, if my fish did any better I simply wouldn't know what to do as I don't have enough tanks for all of them now.  LOL

Dennis

LOL..me neither.... ;D....Good food and timely water changes has worked well for me so far, why stop now?... 8)
Jon