• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 228
Total: 229

Rid-X

Started by Mugwump, July 14, 2013, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I'll wait for Frank here....... ;D...myself, this is a crazy idea.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Normal bioactive media, siphoning the substrate and water changes...why not?  I agree the Rid-X in the aquarium is a good topic for Frank to address.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

My feeling is that once you dose...you'll have to continue to dose it...plus, if you have a need to use it, you're doing something wrong, and have a bigger problem ..it's a band-aid, not a cure...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I wouldn't recommend it for it's intended purpose let along in your aquarium.  LOL

Dennis

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Here's part of the premise....Probiotic bacteria used as a preventative....remember Monsanto started something like this with GMO's, grain/seed additives.....now we have things that might start glowing in the dark....???..it's not always a good thing...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC99008/
Jon

PaulineMi

I agree.    :o

Edit:
I just read (and scanned parts of) your link. Ugh.....

I recently read about what wheat used to be like and what it is today now that it's been "improved" to produce high yields. It explained how totally different bread made from "old" type wheat is from today's bread.

Sure can't help but feel very sorry for the generations to come....human, plant and animal.

Mugwump

yep, hence my apprehension. Here's the 'Monster Fish Keepers' thread

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture&highlight=probiotic

It's a very interesting and intriguing thread ....a good read...
I told Dan that I'm not too old to learn, but old enough to be very careful....LOL....
Jon

BallAquatics

That link just takes me to the index page.....  no thread???

Dennis

Mugwump

LOL...try it now....it's a long thread but pretty decent to follow
Jon

BallAquatics

Thanks Jon!

Dennis

ilroost

I was crazy enough to use Miracle grow in my tanks and it worked, but i don't know if i'll go as far as trying rid-x. I do keep it on hand here and use it once a month in my septic tank

Frank The Plumber

I use Poo Be Gone.

I spray in a bit in the morning and the turds twinkle a bit and poof...gone.

Seriously though. Why would a Plumber with 34 years of field experience in industrial turd smuggling technology be designing and constructing a $5 K plus central filtration system with 18 denitrification reactor towers if a sprinkle of fairly dust would work?

Never close your eyes when walking barefoot behind a horse drawn carriage with no dew bucket in place.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

ilroost

Call me old school, but nothing beats a good water change.No matter how old,fat and lazy i get

Mugwump

I'm still skeptical, but it's not presented as a cure all, but an aid in possibly controlling some harmful bacteria that can arise....in your case,(Frank) your system will handle it fine, with macho to spare....but, just but....what if it could help further being used in your sump??....what if made it even more vermin proof......then would you consider it?...how could you not.....
Jon