• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 04:43:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

Amazon Swords

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2012, 09:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Care Level: Moderate 
Lighting: Moderate 
Placement: Background 
Water Conditions: 72-82? F, KH 3-8, pH 6.5-7.5 
Propagation: Peduncles 
Max. Size: 1' 8" 
Color Form: Green 
Supplements: Iron-Rich Fertilizer 
Origin: Farm Raised, USA 
Family: Alismataceae 

The Amazon Sword Plant, Echinodorus amazonicus, is a Rosette plant that is very popular with aquarium hobbyists. They are capable of reaching approximately 20 inches in height under proper water conditions. The Amazon Sword Plant has short rhizomes, numerous lance shaped leaves that are pale to dark green with sharply pointed tips, and fairly short stems. It is an amphibious plant that will grow either partially or fully submersed.
For the most beautiful Amazon Sword Plants, a loose substrate and an iron-rich fertilizer must be used. The Amazon Sword Plant requires at least 2 watts per gallon of full spectrum lighting (5000-7000K). The aquarium temperature should be from 72?-82?F, with an alkalinity of 3 to 8 dKH and a pH of 6.5-7.5. Propagation is by adventitious plants on the covered peduncles.

Best cultivated in large aquariums, Amazon Sword Plants make a great focal point if used singly. When used in groups, they create an interesting background when grown with other aquarium plants.

Approximate Shipping Size: Regular: 6" to 9"; Large: 10" to 13"; Show Size: 16" to 19"
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

I love these plants and are some of the ones I've had luck with. I don't have any right now but want some.
Jo

b125killer

This is one plant that I have had some luck with. I have got 3 plants off the mother plant and it has one more just waiting for it's own tank.

Scott

Jo

If you get more of them than you want I'd buy some from you. I love the sword plants.
Jo

b125killer

Quote from: Jo on October 26, 2012, 06:47:10 AM
If you get more of them than you want I'd buy some from you. I love the sword plants.

If I get anymore I'll let you know. I took the CO2 out of the tank that the mother plant was in and it hasn't got any new shoots. I'll get the co2 back in there and see if it will give me some more.
Scott

b125killer

I got my co2 back in the tank. once I get some more shoots I'll let you know.
Scott

Jo

Jo

LizStreithorst

This is the only plant that I can grow.  I have 2 monster ones in the 125 at the shop.  I put old rotted goat poo (I used to raise dairy goats and have an old bar full of poo).  I have one in a pot in one of the tanks at home.  Sometimes it does well and sometimes the leaves die and I have to purne it back to just a few leaves.  Then it comes back.  Could be the higher temps in the Discus tank.  Don't know.

None of mine make babies.  Not even the monster ones at the shop.  Too bad.  I'd like one in all my BB tanks at home.  Any suggestions other than CO2?  And if I cut one of my monster ones into thirds and pot them up will they grow or die?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

We've split plants but swords don't like being disturbed much..we just cut it back, after replanting and gave a few plants tabs...they come back when they settle in...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

jon what root tabs are you using these days?
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

I'll have to check with Jan..she found some tiny ones somewhere...we're looking for another source, these aren't as good as the last ones.....the guy made his own and we haven't seen him at the swaps in awhile..
Jon

Rjb3

I had some plant tabs that I made up for the last swap. I've been experimenting with them for a while now and arrived at what I think is the best mix.

I also have small bags of my Plant-Tastic substrate saturated with a liquid fertilizer I call Rocket Fuel.

Mugwump

Thanx, Bob..I've been meaning to try your substrate...I wasn't aware of the tabs too.... ;D
Jon

Frank The Plumber

I like Radican Swords a bit more. Easier to keep and last longer. Need less light. Harder to find though.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Does anyone have any Amazon Sword or Radican sword babies for sale?  I've been trying to talk myself put of buying 8 of them, but in these cases, what my heart wants always wins out.
Always move forward. Never look back.