• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

Newest additions

Started by Mugwump, September 18, 2018, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

Quote from: ghonk on October 05, 2018, 02:24:34 PM
Quote from: waterboy on October 05, 2018, 02:08:01 PM
And maybe D/+, S/+,bg/bg,and maybe D/+,p/p,bg/bg, and maybe D/+,S/S,V/+,bg/bg, and maybe .................  All I know for sure is I have some  white fish with dark Dorsal and Anal fins swimming in my tanks that I am calling BSPs. I am pretty confident what their genetics are. As far as any other bg/bg fish are concerned, I haven't decided what to call them.  Will probably call them Dale's Greens just to distinguish them from Joel's or Raiko's.

Right now I think Joel should be the authority on them as he seems to be the only one spawning them for now.

In one of your posts you either said that BPS need to have PB,or you think they need to have PB.

They do not,just making it clear to  those that may be lurking what the facts are.

Sure you can still call them BPS WITH the ADDITION of PB,but they don't necessarily need  to have PB genes.

I suggested Aqua to indicate the presence  of BOTH  double dose BG and PB.

As far as I am concerned the ones I have are D/+(or D/g),pb/pb,bg/bg and they are seal points, therefore all the BSPs I know about have a blue gene.  I know Raiko published pictures of a lot of fish with supposed genetics, but he never proved anything.  You can believe anything you want to of course.  How about Platinum Points for the ones with black fins and Platinum Greens for the ones with white fins. Anybody can make up their own names.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Babers

Results
----------------------
25.0%   D/D - pb/pb - bg/bg
50.0%   D/g - pb/pb - bg/bg
25.0%   g/g - pb/pb - bg/bg -

Yes, this is how they will look like.

But to an untrained eye, they will say only ONE of them is a BSP...I think (I'm assuming) this is why Raiko didn't introduce the other variants, so as to prevent confusion. (Variants meaning D/D or g/g)

Although these angels have the pb, It really doesn't  matter. The bg is independent.

Joel

Babers

This is a blushing BSP with no pb
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on October 05, 2018, 04:21:29 PM

Results
----------------------

But to an untrained eye, they will say only ONE of them is a BSP...I think (I'm assuming) this is why Raiko didn't introduce the other variants, so as to prevent confusion. (Variants meaning D/D or g/g)

Although these angels have the pb, It really doesn't  matter. The bg is independent.

..please elaborate....bsp needs a dark gene for the finage, right....then ? g/g - pb/pb - bg/bg can't be bsp....?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on October 05, 2018, 05:16:49 PM
Quote from: Babers on October 05, 2018, 04:21:29 PM

Results
----------------------

..please elaborate....bsp needs a dark gene for the finage, right....then ? g/g - pb/pb - bg/bg can't be bsp....?.....

LOL you can call anything you want a BSP.  g/g,pb/pb,/bg/bg = Platinum Bulgarian.  Someone should come up with a good name for non BSPs with bg/bg. 
Dale

Babers

bg/bg = BSP. Regardless of the D.

Just like the pb/pb =Philippine Blue

When David first imported the BSP, some people who bought fish from him said the dark fins disappeared when the angels got older....did that mean the fish is not BSP anymore?

The g/g bg/bg still has a tint of dark fins, although not as pronounced as the D/+ or D/g. Will the fins get lighter as the mature on the platinums? huh. I know Raiko mentioned the Platinum BSP's on one of his posts before.

Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on October 05, 2018, 07:49:39 PM
bg/bg = BSP. Regardless of the D.

Just like the pb/pb =Philippine Blue

When David first imported the BSP, some people who bought fish from him said the dark fins disappeared when the angels got older....did that mean the fish is not BSP anymore?

The g/g bg/bg still has a tint of dark fins, although not as pronounced as the D/+ or D/g. Will the fins get lighter as the mature on the platinums? huh. I know Raiko mentioned the Platinum BSP's on one of his posts before.

...so you're saying bg/bg is bsp, so bg/bg is not Bulgarian green then?....the bsp was named as one specific phenotype as I remember?....not the gene itself...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

The way I understood it was  (BSP) has a Dark gene and a double dose of BG ,like a Pinoy has a Dark gene in  PB's.

Any fish that  DOESN'T have a Dark gene and is double dose BG would just  be called a  (BG) Bulgarian Green.

I will ask Captain  Kirk and get back to you. 

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on October 06, 2018, 06:19:45 AM
The way I understood it was  (BSP) has a Dark gene and a double dose of BG ,like a Pinoy has a Dark gene in  PB's.

Any fish that  DOESN'T have a Dark gene and is double dose BG would just  be called a  (BG) Bulgarian Green.

...that's kinda what I thought too.....Joel threw a curve ball tho....

..want me to beam you up?....
Jon

Babers

"Untrained" ...I meant this word in the most respectful way. I didn't get any training also from the BSP's either. Probably should've used a different word instead. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I apologize if I did.  ;D ;D

Anyway,  bg/bg= BSP.

Let me explain...

With the fish that I have, I have noticed that some of the platinum babies have darker fins, some doesn't. The difference is very subtle but it's there. If the dark fins is the basis for the BSP along with the bg/bg ofcoarse, then this kind of Platinum are considered BSP.

Hence...g/g pb/pb bg/bg is a BSP. (I don't know if a g/g bg/bg is the same since I only have the one with blue). If D is not the only deciding factor to be a BSP, then bg/bg = BSP

This is my theory. Can't prove it yet since I Have not crossed the Platinum BSP with anything yet. Not sure if Raiko did.
Joel

waterboy

Quote from: ghonk on October 06, 2018, 06:19:45 AM

That is my understanding too.  The black finned seal point was named because it reminded someone of a seal point cat.  Any bg/bg fish without a dark gene is a bulgarian green something.  And yes the black fins fade as they age.
The difference in the Platinums could be bg/+ vs bg/bg.
Dale

Babers

QuoteThe difference in the Platinums could be bg/+ vs bg/bg.
Exactly Dale. I was also thinking +/bg = platinums and bg/bg = platinums with darker fins.

Again, regardless of fins fading on the platinums when they mature, they're the same as some of David's shipment who's fins faded. Still BSP's.
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on October 06, 2018, 08:54:25 AM
QuoteThe difference in the Platinums could be bg/+ vs bg/bg.
Exactly Dale. I was also thinking +/bg = platinums and bg/bg = platinums with darker fins.

Again, regardless of fins fading on the platinums when they mature, they're the same as some of David's shipment who's fins faded. Still BSP's.

""Anyway,  bg/bg= BSP. "" (Joel)

""Any fish that  DOESN'T have a Dark gene and is double dose BG would just  be called a  (BG) Bulgarian Green."" (Greg)

..here's what needs clearing up....BSP is a phenotype from bg/bg's......I agree with Greg and Dale, BSP is a phenotype from bg/bg's.....bg/bg is a Bulgarian green
Jon

waterboy

Yes A BSP is a Bulgarian Green with a dark gene just as a Pinoy is a Philippine Blue with a dark gene. I guess I will have to agree with Greg, the BSP do not necessarily need the blue gene. Although now I am beginning to wonder what the other types of BSP look like (D/Gm - D/M).
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on October 06, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
Yes A BSP is a Bulgarian Green with a dark gene just as a Pinoy is a Philippine Blue with a dark gene. I guess I will have to agree with Greg, the BSP do not necessarily need the blue gene. Although now I am beginning to wonder what the other types of BSP look like (D/Gm - D/M).

...then it would need to be another genotype/phenotype......you can't plop all the bsp varieties under one name
Jon