• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:56:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 311
Total: 312

Spawning Bolivian Rams

Started by Rjb3, October 20, 2012, 07:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

The Bolivian Ram (mikrogeophagus altispinosa) is a hearty fish that will spawn in a community setting.

I purchased seven young fish and grew them out in a 46 bow front. Tank mates were Angels, Cory catfish, Cardinal tetras, and BN Plecos. I love young fish as they grow out and form pairs. Three pairs formed. Not my kind of luck, usually. BTW, that combination of fish makes a beautiful South American tank.

No special needs, just water and food. The temperature kept at or around 78-79 seemed to suit their needs. I use softened well water in all my tanks and they seem to do fine.  Several different rocks and slates were used for them to spawn on. They seemed to especially like a P-40 airplane decoration. Some Java Moss was placed in and around the tank, some just above the wing of the plane. They also liked an Angel breeding slate 2" X 12", but only used the bottom three inches.

When the pairs spawned they normally produced 40-60 eggs. Some spawns were slightly larger. I removed the eggs taking care to keep them submerged never allowing the air to touch the eggs. To do this you need several different size containers use only for fish. A two quart pitcher and a 16 oz. tumbler are the sizes I use most.

The eggs were placed in a cycled ten gallon with a foam filter. An air stone was placed directly above them. No anti-fungal treatment was ever used. ie. Acriflavine or Methylene Blue.

They hatched in a few days and were free swimming shortly after. I started them on micro worms and powdered flake. Small feedings twice a day. That was in my pre-foodmaking days. They have lots of choices now. I always change water twice a day at a rate of 20% when raising fry of any kind.

At about a half inch in length I would move them to a larger tank. I grew them out together with Angelfish in a fifty-five due to space constraints. One needs to take care that the young fish are getting enough to eat, with a hungry bunch of Angels around. Rams don't spend much time at the surface, so you need to get food down to them. To accomplish this I would feed the Angels on the far right of the tank away from the filter return water. Then I placed food in the return water. That food swirled down to the waiting Rams. After a few days, when I approached the tank I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea. Angels to the right, Rams to the left. I still smile when I think of those days.

The Bolivian Ram was and still is one of my love at first sight fish. I've enjoyed them for years.

Mugwump

Thanks, Bob....nice post. I like the Bolivian Rams too. Pretty little fish. I didn't realize that they would lay on about anything....the moss is for the new fry to hide, right?...how do you anchor yours??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

In that tank the moss was attached to artificial plants creating a moss cave above the airplane. I guess the fry could have hid in the moss, but I pulled the eggs for maximum survival. I've got pics tied up in the old computer.

Jdmcfast

Thanks a lot Bob I think you answered all of my questions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Rjb3

If there's ever a time when you have a question, do not hesitate to ask.

P4Angels

We have had them spawn in our 55 community tank.   They did well for the first couple days then they where gone.   I think our BN's found them. 

I got my first pairs from BOB at the QC swap and have had them ever since.  Thanks Bob for the AWESOME post  and a passion for a little fish...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Rjb3

Thanks, I try. And I do have a passion for the fish hobby.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 21, 2012, 05:42:11 AM
Thanks, I try. And I do have a passion for the fish hobby.

Yes you do..... 8)...and it's a wonderful thing...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson