• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

BSP x Pinoy

Started by Babers, March 28, 2018, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 11, 2018, 04:26:24 PM
Anyone have b/g fish without p/b.
OR plans to breed the p/b out of SOME of their stock.

I was disapointed when Raiko shipped no straight b/g's,as far as i know.
It's cool that some fish have both,but i personally would have rather  added p/b myself,once i tried to figure out what they were geneticly without it.

Seems like it would be MUCH  harder now trying to decipher the alphabet soup.

..Greg, I not sure a plain bg has ever been produced.....they all carry pb tho.....which to me is something folks haven't considered...accepting only the 'new' bg is solely responsible for all the expressions................that being the root of my skepticism about bg.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

I'm hoping to produce those later on....the original ghost BSP. Raiko's original BSP's didn't have the pb. That was my plan awhile back when I imported some BSP blushing but no luck from them
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on May 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
I'm hoping to produce those later on....the original ghost BSP. Raiko's original BSP's didn't have the pb. That was my plan awhile back when I imported some BSP blushing but no luck from them

..thanks for that info, Joel.....I never saw that.....and sadly none of those made it to the states ...it's a shame too....so much could have been done by now to explore bg
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on May 11, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: Babers on May 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

..thanks for that info, Joel.....I never saw that.....and sadly none of those made it to the states ...it's a shame too....so much could have been done by now to explore bg

...then again, perhaps the bg? expressions never flowered until the pb was added.... huh
Jon

waterboy

It's cool that some fish have both,but i personally would have rather  added p/b myself,once i tried to figure out what they were geneticly without it.

I have few from a BSP/Silver pearscale that are only het for pb but I am not sure how one would breed out the blue. Especially since I can't tell the difference between no pb and single dose pb.  Seems to me that could turn into an extended project.  I was more interested in trying for BSPs than isolating the bg gene.  I am not sure if you could tell the difference between a +/+ fish and a bg/bg fish. Although I could probably be wrong, nothing unusual there.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on May 11, 2018, 05:47:56 PM

I have few from a BSP/Silver pearscale that are only het for pb but I am not sure how one would breed out the blue. Especially since I can't tell the difference between no pb and single dose pb.  Seems to me that could turn into an extended project.  I was more interested in trying for BSPs than isolating the bg gene.  I am not sure if you could tell the difference between a +/+ fish and a bg/bg fish. Although I could probably be wrong, nothing unusual there.

there's the question......if it was a bland expression and when pb added  it began to express?...

..as for pb fry...look for the headlight..those are the pb/pb fry....the 'headlight' can last til ...nickel or bigger

..the pb 'hets' are more an educated guess after raising them for a while....
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

Raiko produced fish with ONLY b/g in almost every genotype as best as I can remember,when he was trying to prove the gene.
He may have even did it with all genotypes,but i'm not sure of that.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Babers

Got a reply from Raiko . Fish # 1 and #5 are BSP's.

Fish # 1 (+/g - pb/pb - bg/bg)
Fish # 5 (D/+(g) - pb/pb - bg/bg)
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on May 11, 2018, 06:47:33 PM
Got a reply from Raiko . Fish # 1 and #5 are BSP's.

Fish # 1 (+/g - pb/pb - bg/bg)
Fish # 5 (D/+(g) - pb/pb - bg/bg)

...and the rest are 'hets'.....right?
Jon

Babers

Rest are het (+/bg)

Fish #2 Pinoy
Fish # 3 Pinoy
Fish # 4 Blue Silver
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on May 11, 2018, 06:59:34 PM
Rest are het (+/bg)

Fish #2 Pinoy
Fish # 3 Pinoy
Fish # 4 Blue Silver

... |^|
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on May 11, 2018, 05:55:39 PM
Quote from: waterboy on May 11, 2018, 05:47:56 PM

there's the question......if it was a bland expression and when pb added  it began to express?...

..as for pb fry...look for the headlight..those are the pb/pb fry....the 'headlight' can last til ...nickel or bigger

..the pb 'hets' are more an educated guess after raising them for a while....

I haven't seen any headlite on mine, maybe Joel has.  I was under the impression that the combination of bg and pb altered the Dark gene to eliminate the black body color and make a BSP.  Much the same way the pb gene alters a g/g fish to be white.  But we will learn more as time goes on.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

ghonk

[/quote]

I haven't seen any headlite on mine, maybe Joel has.  I was under the impression that the combination of bg and pb altered the Dark gene to eliminate the black body color and make a BSP.  Much the same way the pb gene alters a g/g fish to be white.  But we will learn more as time goes on.
[/quote]

Raiko's BSP didn't have p/b.
No p/b is needed to alter the color in most if not all genotypes,IF I remember correctly.

Raiko did extensive testing using only the b/g gene,BEFORE adding p/b into the mix.
Otherwise he would never be able to figure out how b/g affected expression. 

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 12, 2018, 04:57:45 AM

[/quote]

Raiko's BSP didn't have p/b.
No p/b is needed to alter the color in most if not all genotypes,IF I remember correctly.

Raiko did extensive testing using only the b/g gene,BEFORE adding p/b into the mix.
Otherwise he would never be able to figure out how b/g affected expression. 

[/quote]

....'extensive'.....?....an assumption........I don't recall seeing any fry counts..."how b/g affected expression."...or is it the other way around?...his expressing stock most all have p/b now...

b/g does seem to do something tho...I'm really interested in what Dale and Joel find......Dena spent quite a bit of time on it before throwing in the towel.... huh
Jon