• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 07:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

I made chili

Started by LizStreithorst, March 25, 2018, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Not just easy chili...I worked hard to make it this way.  There was a lot involved.  It wasn't easy.  I had to go to the Tienda to search for the correct  dried chile's which they had.  I had to tear them apart and seed them and toast them.  I had to toast a ton of spices (some of which, like star anise I had never used) and grind them into a powder.  I used my mojate.  There were a lot of ingredients and every one had to be prepared correctly. The only thing I couldn't find was Marmite.

It was a lot of work.  I read the recipe and knew that it would be a challenge.  But I could taste it in my mind's taste buds and I couldn't rest until I tried to make it.  I started this morning at 10.  It took a lot of hands on time but left me enough time free to do other stuff until it turned me loose to do as I chose for several hours as it simmered to perfection. 

Just one more hour until it's ready. I've tasted it all along the way and the flavor is overwhelming.  I will do as the recipe suggests and chill it overnight to let the flavors blend even more.  I made enough to feed an army.  It is so very good.  I'm glad that I bought more freezer containers. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/from-the-archives-the-best-chili-ever-recipe.html

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 25, 2018, 04:16:37 PM
Not just easy chili...I worked hard to make it this way.  There was a lot involved.  It wasn't easy.  I had to go to the Tienda to search for the correct  dried chile's which they had.  I had to tear them apart and seed them and toast them.  I had to toast a ton of spices (some of which, like star anise I had never used) and grind them into a powder.  I used my mojate.  There were a lot of ingredients and every one had to be prepared correctly. The only thing I couldn't find was Marmite.

It was a lot of work.  I read the recipe and knew that it would be a challenge.  But I could taste it in my mind's taste buds and I couldn't rest until I tried to make it.  I started this morning at 10.  It took a lot of hands on time but left me enough time free to do other stuff until it turned me loose to do as I chose for several hours as it simmered to perfection. 

Just one more hour until it's ready. I've tasted it all along the way and the flavor is overwhelming.  I will do as the recipe suggests and chill it overnight to let the flavors blend even more.  I made enough to feed an army.  It is so very good.  I'm glad that I bought more freezer containers. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/from-the-archives-the-best-chili-ever-recipe.html

...MMMMmmmm chili.....and yuppers...chili is always better the second day  |^|......try it over a plate of spaghetti   ;)....toasted French bread...MMMmmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

,,we had Italian meat/cheese subs.... w!w |^| w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I couldn't help myself.  I's been smelling it all day long.  I had to turn it into a meal.  I removed one large serving.  I tempered the hot/spicy with creme fraiche.  It is sure 'nuff good.  l need to ladle it into freezer containers.  I made it in a cast iron dutch oven.  I't can't stay there for long.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 25, 2018, 05:30:19 PM
I couldn't help myself.  I's been smelling it all day long.  I had to turn it into a meal.  I removed one large serving.  I tempered the hot/spicy with creme fraiche.  It is sure 'nuff good.  l need to ladle it into freezer containers.  I made it in a cast iron dutch oven.  I't can't stay there for long.

.....I don't blame you a bit !
Jon