• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 02:01:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 299
Total: 300

Questions

Started by JR, June 02, 2013, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I am going to set up a 75gal Discus tank. I was not happy with my last attempt with Discus.I would like to get 6 of Red Pigeon or Red Diamond for this tank. so any advise would help. I keep logs of all my tanks. The last Discus tank water parameters were. PH 6.8, Temp 82-84, DH 220ppm, Ammonia and Nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 5.0ppm. If this is ok I will set this tank up the same way.
I use ECO-cpmplete for substrate and live plants. I have a FX5 filter in less you think that my be to much. I have t5 lighting. Tank mates will be Cory cats. The last tank had Corys and Angels. No Angels this time. I have a RO/ID unit if you all think I should use it. I did 50% water changes every other day. Is that to much or not enough. I would like to do this the right way this time Thanks for any help. Liz do you have any red type of Discus. I love the reds.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Your parameters sound about right, but I'll let Liz or Pauline, etc chime in with the tricks of the trade. My first thought tho was bare bottom tank, til they grow out then transition to a planted tank. Plus, if you're going to someday breed discus, I know it's much easier with a BBT for the pair..
but...........good luck, I know you'll do fine.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I'm new to discus so my knowledge is limited. That being said, I've done lots of reading, have gotten advice from Liz and Barb and have some personal experience I can share.

Your water parameters are fine.  If you're growing out youngsters you don't need the RO water. However for good growth and shape pristine water via lots of big water changes is necessary.  Frequent feedings grow them big. Frequent feedings create extra waste in the tank thus the need for frequent water changes. A bare bottom tank is easier to keep clean. If you disregard this part the discus will end up stunted and football shaped.

You mention Pigeon Blood based discus....The Eco complete substrate is black.  Dark substrate will cause peppering in Pigeon based discus.

That is about all I know.  Now hopefully Liz and Barb will chime in.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Thanx, ....I didn't realize the dark substrate caused spotting....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Thanks for the info. Pauline are your tanks bare bottom. Only tanks I had that was bare bottom were my breeding tanks. But if that is what it takes that will be the way I go.

LizStreithorst

It is suggested that you go BB unless you start with adults or near adults.  To get proper growth from juvies you need to feed a lot which maintenance on a planted tank very difficult.  A couple of plants in pots and some driftwood works well, and can be very attractive.  Black will increase peppering on the PB strains and will encourage bars to show on the non pigeons.

I have lots of red Discus but nothing for sale right now.  David should have a good selection.  I also recommend Mike beals of Central Ohio Discus (he's a sponsor on Simply) and John of John's Discus (he's a sponsor on DaaH)  Kenny of Kenny's Discus (Simply) also has good healthy fish.

50% every other day is fine except for very small fish.  Little ones being fed several times daily are better off with 30% daily.  Your water parameters sound fine.  Stability of the water is what's important.  If you have a pH swing of .4 or greater between water from the tap and water that has been aerated for 12 hours it's suggested that you age your water before adding it to the tank.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

JR

I will be making a appointment to see Mike as soon as the fish room is done. He is only 90 miles away from me. Looks like he has some outstanding Discus

PaulineMi

Lucky you to have quality discus within driving distance!  Be sure to find out when he has a shipment coming in so you can pick what you want before any sell out. Mike's discus go fast.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

You are very lucky.  Mike is a fine man and his Discus are 1st class.
Always move forward. Never look back.