• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 248
Total: 248

Some of the Angels

Started by PaulineMi, June 02, 2013, 11:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I've been neglecting the angels with the camera so I decided to give them some face time. 

This one is actually covered in glitter:

Here's a close up of the scales on the pearlscale paraiba:

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Very nice Pauline.  That fourth one looks like it might have been painted by Monet.   ;)

Dennis

LizStreithorst

May I ask about the pearl scale?  Please be patient with me.  I know nothing...It looks to me to have pearl scales in some places but not in others.  I have a couple of pearl scale Zebras that popped up in a Half Black cross to a Zebra mutt.  Mine are fully pearlscales.  Are they sometimes not fully pearlscales?  Also, how old are the fish before you can spot the pearl scaling?  I have fry from a pearlscale female that has Half Black blood and IMO a very nice Half Black mutt male.  They have the same grand parents.  I'm hoping to get to a pearl scale Half Black.  The babies are 3 1/2 weeks old.  I can see the black coming in on a few of them.  I'd like to know when the pearl scaling might become apparent to me.

Mug, if you send me to the excellent Angel genetics article I will have to drive to your house and throttle you :-*  I prefer to have what I want to know handed to me on a silver platter ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

The fish actually has all of the scales upon it affected by the genetics of pearlscale. If we were to take a scale off of the fish at the point at which you see the pearling and a point at which you do not and we carefully examined them we would find that the scales are actually shaped and formed exactly the same.

If we look at how this happens that we see such a difference we must understand the composition of the fish. We have several factors that allow colorations. Flesh or muscle, the body of the fish may be colored, this affects tone and color definition. Skin, which will lie between the flesh and the scales, and the actual scales themselves. Each of these have a color possibility. In the case of pearl, we have a very iridescent coloration of skin that refracts the light due to the shape of the scale. This refraction gives the area that is iridescent a look of dimension or depth in comparison to the adjacent areas which do not have iridescence.

I am fairly certain that deep within the genome of the Discus that there is a gene for this pearlscale mutation we see in an angelfish. They are two extremely similar fish.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

I can see that all the scales are plump looking.

If this gene is exists in Discus the Asians would have stumbled across it by now.  If it is in fact buried within the genome whoever finds it will be a rich man.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

You have some pretty angels pauline.
Scott

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Jdmcfast

Beautiful!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

Frank The Plumber

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

PaulineMi

Thank you Frank.

In keeping with the glitter/iridescence theme in the angel tank their tankmakes include diamond tetras.  Here's one of them.

Barb

Pauline, I see that your beautiful discus aren't the only beauties in your house!  Gee, they are all gorgeous.  Now I see and know more about the pearling than before, I have 3 with different degrees of it and wondered about it all.  Thanks Frank.
Barb

PaulineMi

JR

Pauline I love looking at your fish. They are just so gorgeous.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

pashley

they are beautiful, love that 4th one