• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 10:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 291
Total: 293

Amazona Jul/Aug

Started by Mugwump, May 28, 2013, 05:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Features 'Great Snails' , 'Blue Rili shrimp', 'Spiny eels breeding'.....looks like I have my bedtime reading lined up... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Got mine too....read it cover to cover.  Such a beautiful magazine.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 29, 2013, 07:57:41 AM
Got mine too....read it cover to cover.  Such a beautiful magazine.

Yes, it is....nicely put together..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Hey Pauline, Stephan does the english translation for Amazonas now!  Or rather he has since around the first of the year...

Dennis

PaulineMi

I didn't realize that.  Just looked it up in the magazine and there it was.  Interesting....  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BillT

QuoteHey Pauline, Stephan does the english translation for Amazonas now!  Or rather he has since around the first of the year...
From what language?

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on May 29, 2013, 06:42:52 PM
From what language?

The original magazine is in German.  The English version is not an exact copy of the original.  There was, (I am told), a very nice article on the Tanichthys thacbaensis in the German May/June 2012 issue by Ingo Seidel.  Again, (I am told), this will appear in the English version at some future date.

Dennis

BillT

Takes a while to get them translated I guess.

PaulineMi

T. albonubes were featured this month. I have a group of them and have always found them to be very pretty little fish.

BillT

QuoteT. albonubes were featured this month. I have a group of them and have always found them to be very pretty little fish.

I have read that they were the poor person's neon tetra when they were first introduced. Neon tetras were expensive and were not being bred. T. albonubes was easy to breed an become cheap but still looked nice.

BallAquatics

T. albonubes has been around since the 1930's and is indeed a staple of the hobby.  Since 2001 three others have been discovered in Vietnam.  T. micagemmae, T. thacbaensis and just recently a new as yet un-named fish, T. sp. ?Vietnam?.

T. micagemmae is fairly common and easy to obtain.  T. thacbaensis I have only seen available on 3 occasions, but should become more readily available as hobbyist breeders start working with the fish.  T. sp. ?Vietnam? has never been available in this country to my knowledge.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Sorry to be a bore folks..... just picked up my copy at the Post Office and see that most of this is covered in the article.   :-[

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 31, 2013, 08:56:47 AM
Sorry to be a bore folks..... just picked up my copy at the Post Office and see that most of this is covered in the article.   :-[

Dennis

LOL...... ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

Not being a bore at all!  You have such an in depth knowledge of what I like to call "little fish".  That you were able to provide all of that Tanichthys info confirms it. 

BTW....the snail articles with photos were well done and I loved the pictures of the baby spiny eels. The author's description of the youngsters made them sound charming.

BallAquatics

Thank you Pauline.  I totally agree with your & Jon's appraisal of the magazine, it is currently my favorite aquatic publication.  They cover topics with such depth, that even subjects that would not normally be of interest, become very entertaining and enlightening.

Dennis