• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 06:55:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,324
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 131
Total: 131

Unexpected visit.

Started by LizStreithorst, May 18, 2013, 04:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have a new mail lady.  She's Chinese.  She delivered the most successful shipment of Mug's Koi Angles to me a few weeks ago.  She brought my fish food from Bob to my house this afternoon.  She asked about the Angels she'd delivered.  She was concerned for them.  She'd never heard of shipping fish through the mail. 

I know that Asians tend to like fish so I asked her if she'd like to see them.  She REALLY wanted to see the fish, but she was afraid of my barking multitudes.  I told her how to deal with the dogs (ignore them).  She was totally blown away by the fish.  She had never seen Discus before, even in Hong Kong.  We had a lovely little chat.  She told me that the Chinese word for "fish" is similar in sound to the word for "lots of money".  I didn't ask what kind of Chinese she spoke.  Wish I had.  Isn't it strange how a small unexpected event can just make your day?
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

That's awesome Liz, I like to show people my fish the only problem is when the Sta Isabel/Rio Negro spawn they like to be left alone. If we bring people in to the fish room it spooks them and the eat the spawn. They do like there privacy. 

Scott

PaulineMi

Yes and that's a cool story.  It reminds me of the time Mr. Wantanabe from Japan was at our house. He was in the U.S. to check on things at the factory where my husband worked. While at our house he was fascinated by our horses and the amount of property we had. We stayed at the barn when he went up to the house to use the restroom. After he had been gone for an inordinate amount of time a friend went to check on him. He was sitting on the sofa, holding and petting our cat totally mesmerized.

Later we all went to play golf. An old apple tree grew along side the parking lot. In total amazement Mr. Wantanabe approached the tree and asked if he could pick an apple. It was the first apple tree he had ever seen.

This was an experience similar to yours Liz. It was an unexpected visit with a corporate level executive who was fascinated by the richness of our (to us) modest way of life. It was also hard to tell who was most awestruck by the experience of that day.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Surely you're not talking about the Discus Mr. Wantanabe? 

PaulineMi

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 18, 2013, 06:29:45 PM
Surely you're not talking about the Discus Mr. Wantanabe?

No.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

Thank God.  I'd have peed my pants.

PaulineMi

Mugwump

sheesh...now I wish that it had been him.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson