• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 02:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

I need to know from the experts

Started by LizStreithorst, July 28, 2017, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Is a short gill plate always genetic or can it be due to poor water quality or other sub-optimal conditions. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Over breeding lines weakens the fry where this can happen...bad water excelerates it
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Can it be due to bad water alone?  These are not fish that I bred myself so It's not a water quality thing.  I don't think that's due to inbreeding because the fish are the product of a lot of weird strains.

wallace

I had an angel with see-through gill plates that showed red, but the plates were normal. Over time the silver appeared and eventually it became normal.

Dan

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on July 28, 2017, 07:01:15 PM
I had an angel with see-through gill plates that showed red, but the plates were normal. Over time the silver appeared and eventually it became normal.

This is not that but I will look more closely before I toss them.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 28, 2017, 06:47:15 PM
Can it be due to bad water alone?  These are not fish that I bred myself so It's not a water quality thing.  I don't think that's due to inbreeding because the fish are the product of a lot of weird strains.

....over and over and.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

OK. 

I asked on TAS, too, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to cull them.  I hate it.  The best fish are the ones with the deformity.  But it's not like this my greatest disappointment.  When I put it into perspective this ain't shit.

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

The deed has been done.  I culled 5 fish but the guy sent me extras so I still have 7 left.

LizStreithorst

I have just inquired about shipping cost on these.  I'm stubborn.   If I out cross to a different strain I can sow's ears into silk purses http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1501384802.

wallace

Dan

LizStreithorst

I'd I thought that my fish room was packed to bursting :o

LizStreithorst

Nobody approves of my new project? 

LizStreithorst

I hate to pass in these because if I am to do anything with half blacks I need new blood.  I lost my old group of half blacks because I couldn't find new blood to cross into the line. 

I'm torn...this guy is asking too much for the fish, at least in my opinion, and he only ships FedEx Overnight.  Shipping for 4 fish would be $55. which would bring the total to $230.  It's just too damn much to spend on 4 fish.  On the other hand, I need them and God only knows when I might see half blacks offered for sale again.

Nobody bid on the auction that I inquired about and it his been relisted.  He has plenty of half blacks available.  I'm thinking that I should wait for the new auction to run it's course with nobody buying and contact the guy again and start negotiating with him at that point.  Do you think that is a good strategy or do you think that I just suck it up and take the plunge?    When I had my half black line I sold proven pairs for $150. and shipped USPS priority.