• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 06:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 291
Total: 292

Oh my...

Started by LizStreithorst, June 02, 2017, 03:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Tony44 on June 04, 2017, 08:43:35 AM
The newer cars it is hard to turn miles back sometimes they would just disconnect the speedo from the transmission look under car and see if there are wrench marks on speedo cable. If it has a old type odometer a rap on top of dashboard above odometer the numbers will move if the odometer was tampered with. I once was looking at a truck that said 17000 on speedo but oil change sticker said 45500 it was on the door jamb. The truck was clean but high miles

Cool!  Thanks, Tony!
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Pop's '99 S-10 had 34000 miles on it when I started driving it a couple years ago.    ;)

With the new cars mileage is not such a big deal as it was back-in-the-day.  Tell 'em you want an extended test drive and have Chip put it on the rack and give it the once over.   2c2

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 03, 2017, 06:17:30 PM
I did ask the dealer to email me the CarFax but he didn't.  The vin is listed so I checked it myself.  No report is available for that vin.  I was under the impression that to be listed on Car Gurus a vehicle had to have a CarFax but I could be mistaken.  I'm a bit worried about the odometer having been set back.  It's not often you find a 2013 model with under 17,000 miles.

My neighbor has a 2005 Camry with 24,000 miles on it. She usually rides around with her husband though.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I'm very nervous thinking about perhaps buying this car.  I know that I will do it all wrong.  If I like it, I'm not supposed offer them $10,000 cash including tax and title and leave it up to them to take it or leave it.  I never bargain.  I'm hate and I suck at it.  If the car is what they say it's well worth that much.

I know that it is very unlikely that there is anyone else interested in this car.  That is my only bargaining point and I will keep it to myself as not to show my hand.  I must remember that I've lived without a Fiat 500 for my entire life, and just because the car turns me on no end I can't let on. 

BallAquatics

And here I was thinking a multi-talented lady like yourself would be a world class haggler.   huh

I taught both of my kids, at a very young age, how to haggle at this yearly "computer fest" in Dayton Ohio.  It was like a computer flea market and the kids would both have a list of things they wanted.  I'd give them not quite enough money to get the stuff, and tell they not to pay the asking price to the sellers if they wanted to get everything on their lists.

My son got so good at it, that it was almost shameful.....  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I hate it.  I won't haggle.  When people try to haggle with me about my grooming price, they usually say that so and so will do it for so much less I tell them, "hey, that's a good price".  That sends them on their way.  Heck, I lived in Mexico where haggling is a part of life and I still can't do it.  It's just not my style.  My style is to figure out how much something is worth to me and say, "take it or leave it".

If $10,000 cash is not good enough for them, I'm not meant to have the car and that will be that.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2017, 07:23:51 PM
I hate it.  I won't haggle.  When people try to haggle with me about my grooming price, they usually say that so and so will do it for so much less I tell them, "hey, that's a good price".  That sends them on their way.  Heck, I lived in Mexico where haggling is a part of life and I still can't do it.  It's just not my style.  My style is to figure out how much something is worth to me and say, "take it or leave it".

If $10,000 cash is not good enough for them, I'm not meant to have the car and that will be that.

It's down to $9998 now......

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m98&radius=150&zip=39459&trimNames=NONE_NONE&trimLevelNames=NONE_NONE&colors=NONE_NONE&utm_term=2017-06-02&utm_campaign=1-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dealfinderSubscription&utm_content=bodySampleListingsViewDetailsCTA#listing=176856633
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Charlotte

Mother, you poor dear.  I'm a better friend than you think.  I understand that you need to buy something younger that won't have problems due to old age.  You know what a PITA getting old is and that there's no such thing as getting young again huh.

I have faith that you will make the right decision.  Personally, I would like to see you in an Abarth, but if you had an Abarth you would ride the winding country roads too fast and end up putting it into a ditch or worse.  That wouldn't be any good for either or us.

Keep on Truckin'

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on June 04, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2017, 07:23:51 PM

It's down to $9998 now......

He said it was on sale for $9,988 when he emailed me after I asked to see the CarFax.  Tax and title takes it up to $10,863.85.  If I like the car and want to buy it they will have to eat $863.85. 

Who knows, if this doesn't work, I might stumble upon an Abarth and wrap myself around a tree, or worse.  Charlotte knows me better than I thought.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m98&radius=150&zip=39459&trimNames=NONE_NONE&trimLevelNames=NONE_NONE&colors=NONE_NONE&utm_term=2017-06-02&utm_campaign=1-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dealfinderSubscription&utm_content=bodySampleListingsViewDetailsCTA#listing=176856633

LizStreithorst

I got there and it was an automatic.  They have updated the information on CarGurus since I told the guy that it was an automatic.  It even said 5 speed manual on the window sticker.

I was disappointed.  Charlotte thinks that I should buy it.  I drove in to Ellisville and talked to chip.  Chip says that I should go back and buy it.  He said that with the kind of driving I do an automatic is fine.  He's right, I guess.  Also, it would be nice to have an automatic if I were to fall and break my left leg.  I'm thinking about it...

The little care is as cute as a button.  First it was listed as being blue.  Later they changed it to green.  In the picture it looks grey.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I spotted it right away.  It's a light green like the one in this picture.  It's not a color that would appeal to a man, but I find it adorable.  I need time to think.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/60/84/7f/60847f921ca37ead284d170fd63aeaa4.jpg

BallAquatics

You only live once Liz.  If you want it and they will sell at a price you like.....  WHY NOT???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 05, 2017, 12:46:09 PM
You only live once Liz.  If you want it and they will sell at a price you like.....  WHY NOT???

Dennis

....yup +1......if indeed it's what you want?....git 'er done....if you would like a stick?...I'm sure that they're out there too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I emailed the guy and asked him if I could drive it to Chip.  Chip is already in favor of me buying this car that he was once strongly against.  He must have researched it behind my back.  The only thing he doesn't like about the car now is that a normal mechanic can only read the code.  They can't see data.  Only a Fiat dealer can see the data.  He wants to see the data.  I don't speak that language wfwf

Driving to Ellisville and back will give me a good feeling of it's ride and handling.  It's been a long time since I've driven a FWD.  I need to get used to it again.  Besides, Chip is a buddy.  He's the one whose opinion I most trust.

BallAquatics

It's not like it's a new car.....  if you drive it a couple of days, and put a couple hundred miles on it, it won't make any difference in the re-sale value.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

He said that I could take it to Chip, all he would need is a copy of my driver's license.  Chip is looking forward to giving it his blessing.  I can't do it today.  It's raining some but there's no telling when the sky might open up like it did last night.  I don't want to be caught in a car that I don't own when the sky lets loose a blinding downpour.

I called the folks who have the money I'm not allowed to touch and told them to transfer it to my bank account.  It will take between 48 and 72 hrs.  The die has been cast.