• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 04:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 311
Total: 311

For people who like the wild birds

Started by LizStreithorst, April 30, 2013, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have 5 of these males at my feeders.  They're called Rose Breasted Grosbeaks.  First time I saw one I was driving through town and I couldn't believe my eyes.  I almost had a wreck!  Last year I saw one in my garden.  I saw it one time only.  Suddenly I have 5!  I've seen their wives too (this bird is monogamous) but I can't differentiate the females from one another like I can the males.  They are not only beautiful to look it, they have a song to match.  Very varied and melodious.

Sorry about the quality of the pic of 4 in the same shot.  I really don't have the right lens for taking pictures of birds.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst

And finally the crappy one.

Mugwump

My Mom always enjoyed watching the birds that came by their house on the lake. Dad rigged a camera through the vcr so she could watch them on the closed porch tv. She recorded a variety of these pretty little creatures. One of my sisters has the tapes. She was supposed to get them put on CD....but...alas.....nice pics, Liz....you lucky girl... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Those are really pretty birds. How neat to have them in your yard.

I found their song: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rose-breasted_Grosbeak/sounds
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

I learned their song from that site  Hat's off to Cornell.  Every time I want to know something about a particular bird, I end up there.

Is their song not beautiful?  How wonderful of Conell to put up many examples of it.  The three first songs all have the same character, but I can differentiate the 3 different styles.  I love the Soft Song.  I've read that they sing the soft song while nesting.  Birds don't sing while nesting (think of the predators it might attract)  These sing.  The dang birds have guts, too. 

Barb

I like the crappy pic the best!  Beautiful birds Liz, none of those in our yard.
Barb

BillT

Pretty little birds. My Mom used to be into bird watching, but we never saw that kind.

BallAquatics

We have a Twitcher amongst us... LOL

Liz you never fail to surprise and amaze!  Great photos and great info, Thanks!

Dennis

pashley