• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 11:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Chicks

Started by LizStreithorst, May 12, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

Its good to hear that the little thing survived.  :)
Dan

BallAquatics

Glad you found the chick Liz!  With all the political BS, it's nice to hear a story with a happy ending.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 16, 2017, 06:37:07 AM
Glad you found the chick Liz!  With all the political BS, it's nice to hear a story with a happy ending.   ;)

Dennis

+1  |^| yup...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I used to rustle them up every night and put them in their inside homes for their own safety.  They must have gotten together and discussed strategy because en masse when I went to scoop them up they all ran in different directions and made gathering them impossible.  For 5 days they've been in the yard outside the fish room that looks like white trash lives here day and night.  I leave the door to the fish room open to them in case of rain or predators.   I have food and water there for them as well.  They still prefer being outside, thank God, but they like being in the fish room enough that I know I'll have to hose down the floor in another week. 

I think that maybe white trash lives here.  I don't care.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

..I've started reading an interesting book by Nancy Isenberg titled White Trash - The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America.  It's really interesting and we didn't have it in our history books while going through the grades! ...Originally when America was discovered and settlers were sent over, there was the overt intention of keeping a class system....It's a laborious read for me but I'm sticking with it.... ;)

...plenty of time to read tomorrow while flying and with layover going to Richmond for the funeral...and back...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..travel safe, Ron....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Ron Sower on May 18, 2017, 09:37:26 PM
..I've started reading an interesting book by Nancy Isenberg titled White Trash - The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America.  It's really interesting and we didn't have it in our history books while going through the grades! ...Originally when America was discovered and settlers were sent over, there was the overt intention of keeping a class system....It's a laborious read for me but I'm sticking with it.... ;)

...plenty of time to read tomorrow while flying and with layover going to Richmond for the funeral...and back...!

I wonder if I qualify because I put my own self in a lower class.  I was raised upper-middle but it was never comfortable for me.  I have always gravitated toward the working class.

But even the working class doesn't have 10 dogs, god knows how many fish, and 13 chickens allowed access to the fish room.  The fish room is warm and humid, even with the exhaust fan going.  The floor gets wet as I work the tanks.  We've had rain showers and we're forecast to have 5 days of rain on the way!!!  It will not be at all pleasant in the fish room with 13 chicks shitting all over the floor.

I sound a lot like white trash to me.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 19, 2017, 06:43:24 PM
I sound a lot like white trash to me.

Do we experience the world as it really is ... or as we need it to be? - https://www.ted.com/talks/donald_hoffman_do_we_see_reality_as_it_is

Up To 90% Of Your Perception Could Be Made Up Purely By The Brain - https://braindecoder.com/post/up-to-90-of-your-perception-could-be-made-up-purely-by-the-brain-1104633927

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Back to chickens.  They've been out free range all day.  I just put them to bed.  I thought I'd snap a few pics.  I hate that I missed the one of all 13 of them gathered around their new feeder.  That's when I ran for the camera and when I got back they were all doing different things.  The handsome one on the perch is my rooster.

Mugwump

..nice pics  |^|...wow, they're getting so big !!!! :o
Jon

LizStreithorst

I ordered my cheeps a toy.  I bought them two of these: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/the-chicken-swing?trk_msg=02Q65CE6F684L2QV7MP7NDF87O&trk_contact=SC9BML9PA6BL3EU7B1THQ9NK8S&trk_sid=M3NMV0LS0G4L1956ULSJ8S7UVC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=The+Chicken+Swing&utm_campaign=05%2f25%2f2017+LIV+Poultry&utm_content=05%2f25%2f2017+LIV+Poultry  I'll hang them from the rafters so they will have something to play with during the times they're inside their house.

I was building a small pen for them.  Bought and paid for all the materials.  Got post holes dug and posts in place.  But I've been letting the chicks run free all week. The dogs pretty much ignore them except for Big Head who is still fascinated buy them.  He's outside beside their house when I let them out in the morning.  When I come home from work he's watching them play outside.  It's rather worrisome.   The few times I've seen a dog so fascinated by a smaller animal the dog ended up killing it.

None of my other dogs show any interest in my chicks.  I was afraid that Bruno who resembles a sight hound would make them run so he could catch one.  Nope.  I thought that Roxy, Big Head's litter sister would want to wipe them out.  Nope.  I was worried about Blackie who is related on the sire's side to Big Head and Roxie, though you would never know if you saw them.  Blackie ignores chickens.

I think that my best bet is to finish the 8'X30' run and keep the chickens in it unless I am home.  It would be great if Big Head were the chicken protector that he seems to be, but I have serious doubts. I won't have to worry about him doing something that he know's I don't want him to do if I'm home. 

wallace

Our chickens have swings they don't play with... maybe yours will.

In my experience a dog will kill several birds. Our wirehaired griffin suddenly killed 11 chickens one day. Came home and there were dead birds all over the place. :o
Dan

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

So how are the chicks doing?......any pics?
Jon

LizStreithorst

They are as happy as can be and they always make me smile.  I took a pic through the office window a week or so ago.  It was the only way I was able to capture all 13 of them in the same shot.  I took the pic of the lazy things in their favorite dusting spot earlier today.  The one in the foreground is the rooster.  See the wattles growing?