• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 12:44:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175

Chicks

Started by LizStreithorst, May 12, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Dang Chicks have become an obsession :-[  The fish are a burden right now.  The chicks are a joy.  Every time I scoop them up and carry them in or out  3  to 5 at a time they become more tame.   I understand that the Buff's make excellent show chickens.  I'm a sucker for entering my best of anything in a show.  There is a chicken show at the State Fair the same day as they have the Dairy Goat show.  Mine won't be show age yet but I would love the opportunity to talk to the exhibitors and judges.

Has anyone here ever seen the judging of a chicken show.  Three judges walk around in white lab coats.  They each  have a clip board that I guess has score cards on it.  They are allowed to consult with each other during judging.  It is fun watching them consult.  It seems like they are talking about the finer points of conformation but they could just be shooting the bull for all I know.

Ilroost, please tell me all you know about chicken shows :-*
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

When the kids were here we would hold some of the chicks at night as we were sitting watching TV or whatever. Those became really tame and as adults they let you pick them up easily. There is only one goose that tame because it got held more.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I could do that. 

I have already figured out which Light Brahma chick is my rooster.  It's the same as with fish.  The more you look at them the more subtleties you pick up.  My rooster is slightly larger and walks taller and more proud.  I'd love to get him to trust me well enough that I could show him.

They say that the Buff Brahma's are the knock out show chickens but I don't see it so far except that their color is so pretty.

wallace

The Brahmas are nice looking birds. I have a real old hen that's a Silver Laced Wyandotte that look good. I only have the one, it way outlived all its siblings.
Dan

ilroost

Chicken shows are a lot like dog shows. They check for color, how straight feathers are, ect. I loved going to the shows because you meet up with friends you only see once or twice a year. I won grand champion once with a white bantam cochin rooster.. My handle on here is from my chicken days. Ilroost is short for Illinois Rooster. Wallace what breed of geese do you keep? I have a pair of brown Chinese geese now days. A quad of Spitzhauben chickens and a pair of blue muscovey ducks. Also here at the zoo lol is 4 female pygmy goats and 2 pot belly pigs. Also have a cockatoo that I have had for around 23 years

wallace

Quote from: ilroost on May 13, 2017, 09:53:04 PM
Chicken shows are a lot like dog shows. They check for color, how straight feathers are, ect. I loved going to the shows because you meet up with friends you only see once or twice a year. I won grand champion once with a white bantam cochin rooster.. My handle on here is from my chicken days. Ilroost is short for Illinois Rooster. Wallace what breed of geese do you keep? I have a pair of brown Chinese geese now days. A quad of Spitzhauben chickens and a pair of blue muscovey ducks. Also here at the zoo lol is 4 female pygmy goats and 2 pot belly pigs. Also have a cockatoo that I have had for around 23 years

We have about 8 Sebastopol geese and one Canada honker. The honker can fly around near the ground but apparently has never figured out that he is capable of going up in the sky. The Sebastopol males are very crabby right now because its nesting season, and they go after my shins when I walk by.

A new goat showed up yesterday, a little grey buck. He coughed in the car all the way home and then stopped when he got here. huh

We have pigs off and on. Definitely not pets, they go into the freezer when they get up to about 280 lbs.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on May 13, 2017, 09:53:04 PM

....Bob and the rooster...... |^|

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

Liz a friend at work his son and wife show chickens maybe there is something on their website that may help

http://www.padillas-peeps.com/

ilroost

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GeorgeG on May 14, 2017, 10:42:59 AM
Liz a friend at work his son and wife show chickens maybe there is something on their website that may help

http://www.padillas-peeps.com/

Very interesting, George.  Thanks.

LizStreithorst

A casualty.  I came home from running an errand in town and I heard the sound of a chicken in distress.  I ran to look and all my chicks but 3 were outside of their fenced yard.  As I was rounding them up and putting them back, I found where they got out.  It was where the dogs discovered an armadillo digging a hole along the fence and went crazy and dug a deeper hole in the wee hours one night months and months ago.  I knew that place was there but had totally forgotten it.  I got them all safely back in their yard but one is missing.  I haven't found the body but I know that Big Head got ahold of it.  It was one of my two Buffs.

Mugwump

..poor thing......that sucks..........I hope he pops out of the brush and surprises you... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

You were right.  It was hunkered down somewhere keeping still.  I heard the sound of a frustrated chick.  It was trying unsuccessfully to get back with it's buddies.  Everyone is safe and secure.  Phew...

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 15, 2017, 12:14:02 PM
You were right.  It was hunkered down somewhere keeping still.  I heard the sound of a frustrated chick.  It was trying unsuccessfully to get back with it's buddies.  Everyone is safe and secure.  Phew...

BOOMBA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |^|
Jon

Ron Sower

All's well that ends well... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron