• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 02:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Watch your local water

Started by Mugwump, March 01, 2017, 05:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....the last few days our tap water has smelled heavily of chlorine......this wet weather, with fluctuating temps, has prompted some heavy municipal dosing.... wfwf
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2017, 05:53:42 AM
....the last few days our tap water has smelled heavily of chlorine......this wet weather, with fluctuating temps, has prompted some heavy municipal dosing.... wfwf

My water has sucked the last few times I tested it. I did a WC on Sunday and lost 2 fish (luckily no Altum), including an L144 male and an older Koi. huh :(
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wallace

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 01, 2017, 07:35:39 AM

My water has sucked the last few times I tested it. I did a WC on Sunday and lost 2 fish (luckily no Altum), including an L144 male and an older Koi. huh :(

Wow, that sucks. What was it do you think, extra chlorine.. or something else? Do you have to test it all the time and use more dechlorinator? Well water has its own set of problems, but it never changes from one day to the next like that.
Dan

wsantia1

Quote from: wallace on March 01, 2017, 11:21:58 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on March 01, 2017, 07:35:39 AM

Wow, that sucks. What was it do you think, extra chlorine.. or something else? Do you have to test it all the time and use more dechlorinator? Well water has its own set of problems, but it never changes from one day to the next like that.

Don't know. I use a good dechlorinator (Safe) and my water is normally excellent. Might just have been a coincidence.

The only difference I saw was in the TDS levels. I am usually at 75 with my tap water but it is now running between 150 and 200.

That may sound like good water for most but since my tank water is less than 100 it might have been shock on a couple of weak fish. huh 
Willie

wallace

The thing is, you don't know what that extra 100ppm of TDS is comprised of. It might be something a lot worse than ordinary minerals, because it seems unlikely that a jump in minerals by itself would kill fish like that. After all, putting a simple dose of salt in the tank will suddenly increase the TDS to 500-1000ppm.
Dan

BillT

I used to run a fish facility at the U or Oregon. For a long time we were constantly worried about issues with the incoming water. We frequently were talking with the water company about what they were doing. Sometimes you can find a lot out doing this.

Our normal procedure was to run tap water through large charcoal filters to remove the chlorine. Normally this worked well, but during periods of a lot of rain, things would change. As the water became more turbid (more particles suspended in it) the water company would increase chlorine levels to kill the greater numbers of microbe in the water as well as to make up for the chlorine which would be used up reacting with increased amounts of organic materials in the water. They would also add flocculants (like alum) to the water to cause small particles to clomp together and fall or filter out of the water better. Unfortunately for us, the flocculant would also coat the charcoal in the filters and reduce its ability to remove the chlorine from the water. Chlorine would then get through to the fish and cause problems.

In addition, we would have seasonal changes in what ran off into the rivers from which the tap water came. this may have had to do with the amounts of rain/irrigation and the materials farmers (and others?) were putting on fields that got washed into streams. This was thought to cause seasonal changes in the breeding efficiency of the fish (not nearly as drastic a problem as the chlorine though).

Another problem in the area (which did not affect us) occurred when an area's surface water source was temporarily changed to a well water source. This resulted in a pH change in the water which killed a bunch of fish in a fish store.

Its often hard to tell what's going on.

Almost all our problems went away when we changed to using only water that went through our set of large RO machines. This required $$ for the ROs plus a system to resalt and buffer the water slightly, but almost completely eliminated this whole set of problems (which made for better and more efficient research).

wallace

Quote from: BillT on March 01, 2017, 01:37:56 PM
Another problem in the area (which did not affect us) occurred when an area's surface water source was temporarily changed to a well water source. This resulted in a pH change in the water which killed a bunch of fish in a fish store.

This just recently happened in Portland, where Cryptosporidium was found in larger numbers than normally in their Bull Run source, so they switched from their very soft water (TDS<30) to groundwater having a much higher pH.

The flocculent's effect on the carbon isn't something I had thought about. This means that if you were to routinely use carbon to remove sudden increases in chlorine, you would want to have a good sediment filter on the upstream side.
Dan

wsantia1

I've always had good TDS water here and the fish were thriving so I haven't paid much attention to the water's other properties as long as the TDS remained low.

Last year we had a period of time where the TDS would fluctuate on any given day so I began testing TDS daily and did water changes on those good days.

I will place a call into the water company to see if I can get more info. Their website provides outdated information which is useless to me.
Willie

BillT

In Eugene, the water company used to have monthly reports you could easily get that showed what the water was like for the last month.
Then, for some reason they changed it to a YEARLY AVERAGE, which loses any information about short term changes!