• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

Reseal or Replace?

Started by PaulineMi, April 15, 2013, 02:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

My 90 gallon tank sprung a leak. I bought it used about eight years ago.

I can get a brand new 75 for $100. .... or I can take the leaker to a person who lives 125 miles away to reseal it.  Can the resealed tank be trusted?

If this was a smaller fish room tank I'd attempt the repair myself or with hubby's assistance. Seeing as how this is a display tank in a carpeted room I'm a bit nervous.....
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've found resealed tanks to be reliable, if done right. If the guy sealing your tank has experience doing them, you should be ok.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Why not do it yourself?  It's time consuming but not difficult.  You remove the old silicone with a razor blade, wipe it down well with acetone, and apply new silicone.  If I lived closer to you I'd take the tank off your hands, re-do it, and use it for my fish. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 15, 2013, 03:14:59 PM
If I lived closer to you I'd take the tank off your hands, re-do it, and use it for my fish.

That's what I was thinking.....  It's going to be good weather soon, you can fill and test it on the back porch without worry of wet carpets.   ;)

Dennis

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on April 15, 2013, 02:48:39 PM
I've found resealed tanks to be reliable, if done right. If the guy sealing your tank has experience doing them, you should be ok.

Yep he's a total "fish head".  He explained the process and the time it would take. He'll do it in trade for some fish I want to rehome.

I had someone cast doubt on the success of resealing an old tank. I just wanted to make sure it was okay to do.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Always a sceptic somewhere....he he......  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

not really that bad to do. I'm resealing a old 150 gal tank now, should have been done but i'm taking my time to make sure it's right.I kinda feel like you about it. I don't want it to leak after all the work

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on April 15, 2013, 06:54:56 PM
not really that bad to do. I'm resealing a old 150 gal tank now, should have been done but i'm taking my time to make sure it's right.I kinda feel like you about it. I don't want it to leak after all the work

If you get all the old caulk out and clean the surface well, with something like acetone, or alcohol, you're good to go.....a dirty surface, or little bits of old caulk are the no no's...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't understand why you are sending this tank out when you could easily do the job yourself.  It's actually even kind of fun the first time cause you find out that you can do it.  Heck, I know nothing and I rebuilt a 100 gallon that I cracked the front pane on trying to move myself.  All it took was razor blades, acetone. a square, some clamps, and silicone.  I'm using that tank today.  Have a little fun!  Do it yourself!
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Spine issues and resulting muscle spasms interfere....sux.

shatanka

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 16, 2013, 06:57:54 AM
Spine issues and resulting muscle spasms interfere....sux.

Oh wow, I hear ya with that Pauline! I had been chatting with Lori on here about her surgeries she just went through and was asking her advice on my spinal issues. (BTW if you read this Lori, I hope you are doing much better now!) Yes, It does suck. Literally takes the life out of ya when you can't do things like you had before...have to watch every move you make for hopes in not doing too much or doing something the wrong way so as to cause more pain. I totally understand what you mean! Take care of yourself! You know your limitations ( and it does suck being limited, I know)!

I hope you get your tank all squared away. It is a beautiful show tank!

PaulineMi

I hear you too Shatanka.  I communicate with Beckie on the other forum regarding spine issues. This aging gracefully stuff is a joke. Lol. I did manage to scrub the tank out and a wrong twist of the body let me know I was pushing it.

I was assured by a person who is very experienced with planted tanks that my plants should be okay in the barebottom 40 that they are in as long as I keep the water circulating and provide good light.

Those crazy angels that were moved to temporary quarters are as happy as can be. Nothing fazes them. The diamond tetras, white cloud minnows and cories are fun to see swimming all over the tank. They're usually hard to see when they're cruising through all the plants. I'm sure all the fish will be glad to get back into their big planted tank when all this excitement ends though.  :)

Barb

Good luck with it Pauline, back pains are not fun when doing fish tank work.  Take it easy.
Barb