• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 01:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

hot mag replacements...

Started by Mugwump, January 31, 2017, 06:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...these sure aren't as good as the old hot mags....for sure.... 2c2
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 31, 2017, 06:54:21 AM

You got that right and they wear out those cartridges much faster too. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 31, 2017, 08:27:04 AM

You got that right and they where out those cartridges much faster too. huh

..absolutely.....I stuffed it with floss, seems to work fine tho......juries still out tho....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on January 31, 2017, 08:29:14 AM

..absolutely.....I stuffed it with floss, seems to work fine tho......juries still out tho....LOL

But does the floss micron filter?
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 31, 2017, 08:30:57 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on January 31, 2017, 08:29:14 AM

But does the floss micron filter?

...not quite...but cleans up nicely....and easier..... |^|
Jon

wallace

Haven't had much need for mine. I thought about using it for a little peat bomb but haven't needed to do that either.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I could use another Magnum.  I wouldn't mind having two since I'm big on having a back up for everything.  Big Al has the new ones for $39.  There is an old style one on Ebay for $49.  It's the canister and pump only which is fine because I have parts galore.  It's used but the guy has 100% positive feed back and offers free shipping.  $49. is too much for a used Magnum canister and pump buy all say that the new one  doesn't meet your expectations.  I could always just do without.  It's not like it a necessary piece of equipment.

What would you do?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 11, 2017, 05:10:41 PM
I could use another Magnum.  I wouldn't mind having two since I'm big on having a back up for everything.  Big Al has the new ones for $39.  There is an old style one on Ebay for $49.  It's the canister and pump only which is fine because I have parts galore.  It's used but the guy has 100% positive feed back and offers free shipping.  $49. is too much for a used Magnum canister and pump buy all say that the new one  doesn't meet your expectations.  I could always just do without.  It's not like it a necessary piece of equipment.

What would you do?

Since I recently had a motor go on a Hot Mag that was a couple of years old I would not be inclined to buy a used one.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on February 11, 2017, 07:19:26 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 11, 2017, 05:10:41 PM

What would you do?

Since I recently had a motor go on a Hot Mag that was a couple of years old I would not be inclined to buy a used one.

...good logic  |^|
Jon

wallace

I'll have a chance to use the new replacement. I need to pull some big old amazons and move them. They are rooted in peat under a layer of gravel. The last time I tried to pull an amazon plant from that tank the roots went everywhere, it wanted to pull the entire bottom substrate up with it. The plants are going into a smaller fishless tank for a few weeks where I can feed them and get rid of snails. Then they will be potted-- I really need bare glass and I've never been much into display tanks.

Dan

LizStreithorst

I've decided to do without for now.  After all, Magnums are not a necessity. 

Dan, I have the same problem with the 9 year old sword in 125 display tank at work.  The dang thing is huge.  I want to cut it in half.  I know that I will make a huge mess.  The tank already has one Magnum on it.  I'll have to loan it 3 or 4 more from the fish room when I tackle that job.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

When I moved an amazon plant 6 months ago, I couldn't get all the small roots, so the plant suffered a big set-back. Most all the leaves gradually died and were replaced by new ones. Now the plant is half the size it was but looks good.
Dan