• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 12:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Sneaky Leak

Started by wallace, January 23, 2017, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

I have a 90g tank out in the dining room that I've been meaning to take down and move. Last night I was looking for some airline and looked in the cabinet under the tank. The fluval canister has been slowly leaking for who knows how long... maybe a month since I last looked at it. Nothing showed but its been getting into the nice hardwood floor underneath.

I pulled it out and hung an AC-110 on the tank for now. I should have had the canister filter in a bucket.

Now there is a humming noise upstairs. I'm trying to figure out if its coming from the AC-110 or the new air pump that I fired up yesterday. There is no background noise here so anything buzzing or humming in the house and it bugs me at bedtime.
Dan

Mugwump

...money's on the small air pump.....never seen a totally quiet one yet....try a sponge under it...or throw it in a coffee can full of old socks..... |^|..that'll knock the noise down...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Its a linear piston pump. I can make a sound proof box for it if I need to.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Really?  How does one go about doing that?  I have 4 medo linear pumps that I quit using because of the loud hum.  I'll need to use one of them this summer when I get my outside containers ready for little fishies.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 23, 2017, 06:15:46 PM
Really?  How does one go about doing that?  I have 4 medo linear pumps that I quit using because of the loud hum.  I'll need to use one of them this summer when I get my outside containers ready for little fishies.

.....a coffee can full of old socks......works for an air reliever line too......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

A box lined with acoustic ceiling tiles works well.  It's much easier to deaden higher pitched sounds as apposed to lower.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 23, 2017, 06:49:21 PM
A box lined with acoustic ceiling tiles works well.  It's much easier to deaden higher pitched sounds as apposed to lower.

Dennis

....good idea too.... |^|....still need padding, etc because of the vibration......and needs to be vented...
Jon

wallace

I can pick up some acoustic foam... but for now I have a fish shipping box lined with Styrofoam, I'll stick in there and wrap the outside with a blanket and see how that does.

It should be self-cooling, drawing fresh air through itself like that.
Dan