• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 07:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

I had a really crappy Milwaukee swap

Started by sschind, April 08, 2013, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

It's angelfish.net but the site has been down today for some reason.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  I'm fond of forums that are dot net's.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Mug.  It appears that they are doing maintenance on the site today.  I'll try tomorrow.  I 'spect I'll only read the plumber guy.  I like good writing and like my funny bone tickled.  Not big into Angels, though.

Mugwump

I forgot to ask....did you see the guy on Sunday???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

Quote from: Mugwump on April 16, 2013, 02:12:27 PM
I forgot to ask....did you see the guy on Sunday???

No, he wasn't there but a bunch of the guys he was hanging out with at the Milwaukee swap were there.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

LizStreithorst

I still can't bring myself to believe that it was intentional.    Fish people just aren't that way.  Did you ask his buddies how to get in touch with him?  I hope you don't need to fly me up to confront the guy.  If you do, please be sure that he screwed you on purpose because I will hurt him and then I'll go to jail.

Frank The Plumber

Not in Illinois you won't,  we're too cheap to house anyone unless the do something permanent.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

sschind

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 17, 2013, 05:58:25 PM
I still can't bring myself to believe that it was intentional.    Fish people just aren't that way.  Did you ask his buddies how to get in touch with him?  I hope you don't need to fly me up to confront the guy.  If you do, please be sure that he screwed you on purpose because I will hurt him and then I'll go to jail.

Fish people just aren't that way?  That's a little naive don't you think.  I mean sure, we like to think that animal lovers are different but we are just a cross section of the population like every one else and there are thieves in every facet of the population.  What their hobbies are is irrelevant.

As far as confronting him what would be the use?  If he didn't know he is innocent but I doubt he would make good even if it was only half.  If he is guilty he would never admit it.  As far as I am concerned its over.  I've got more important things to think about now.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

PaulineMi

The cynicism that is a result of these types of things is what's especially sad.

Sorry this happened to you. :(
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

sschind

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 18, 2013, 01:02:23 PM
The cynicism that is a result of these types of things is what's especially sad.

Sorry this happened to you. :(

I totally agree.  I used to be of the mind that I would trust you until you proved yourself untrustworthy but now I just don't know if I can afford to think that way.  It's not just this one event that has changed my mind, I've slowly been adopting that attitude for several years.  It's not the evolutionary path that I would prefer but I've seen a lot of dishonest people in this business/hobby (we all have) and it makes it difficult to trust people.  I don't like not trusting people who have given me no reason not to trust them but to protect myself I feel I need to.  That's why I stopped taking checks (except from my best customers and friends.) That's why nothing leaves my possession until it is paid for.  That's why I have severe doubts that your particular animal is captive bred when the vast majority of them in the hobby are wild caught.  It is this particular side that I will not miss when I close up next month.  If I can get it back to a hobby again I can be more selective in the people I choose to business with.  I may not be able to do anything about the dishonest people on a grand scale but I will be able to partially eliminate them from my little world.
Steve Schindler

HB

Mugwump

I understand, Steve, perfectly, but I will advise caution about becoming a total skeptic about folks. That could present a possibilty of bypassing a future good friend. Keep an open mind. and enjoy life, the nuts will appear with a stamp on their foreheads, they won't be hard to miss..... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I DID make a naive statement and one that I know not to be true.  I've been screwed by fish people, but only twice.  Once it cost me a bundle of money once it was my feelings that got hurt which to me is just as bad.  But most fish people are so good hearted and give so freely of their knowledge that I can't imagine ever loosing faith in them.

b125killer

I agree with both sides. I don't trust people, but Unless they are total crackpots I would try and give them some trust until they screw me.
That being said there is only a hand full of people that a fully trust. As far as Steve's situation there is no way of know that the person willingly tried to screw him. If this person is decent he would try and come to a comparable solution. In a situation like a swap meet it is impossible not to trust that the person isn't handing out fake money. Even if you have a pen to check money are you going to check every bill that you get? There is alot of things happening at a fast pace. 
Scott