• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 08:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Rooibos Tea Story

Started by LizStreithorst, January 07, 2017, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Mugwump

..nice work, Dan...

I see that the PH drops rapidly with just a tablespoon of the tea.....that could be a concern as far as Angel acclimation, if not done carefully....big quick swings in PH aren't a good thing for Angel fish.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Occasionally I'll put 1 to 1.5 cups of Rooibos tea in my 150 with the Altums. That's the dose I got from Mike Troxell. They are always quite happy after I do it.

I haven't been using it too much lately though. Next time I do I will check the PH before and after I put in.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 09, 2017, 08:00:10 AM
Occasionally I'll put 1 to 1.5 cups of Rooibos tea in my 150 with the Altums. That's the dose I got from Mike Troxell. They are always quite happy after I do it.

I haven't been using it too much lately though. Next time I do I will check the PH before and after I put in.

..... |^|....it'd be a nice comparison test....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I dump fish from a tank with straight tap into a tank dark with tea all the time.  It has never bothered the fish.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Quote from: Mugwump on January 09, 2017, 05:36:28 AM
..nice work, Dan...

I see that the PH drops rapidly with just a tablespoon of the tea.....that could be a concern as far as Angel acclimation, if not done carefully....big quick swings in PH aren't a good thing for Angel fish.

I doubt if the pH is anything to worry about. The big pH shift is in a cup where the tea is concentrated. Notice that in my tank it only went down by 0.06 and that was over an hour's time.

What was strange is that the water having dKH=3 still had the same alkalinity (dKH=3) after the pH went down. That shouldn't happen except with CO2... the acid should have titrated the alkalinity down quite a bit. Maybe its because these are organic acids. Not sure.
Dan