• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 01:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 245
Total: 245

Tank Dilemma

Started by jennd, April 05, 2013, 03:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennd

This is my dilemma.  I need more tanks and I am not sure what to do.  I was thinking of getting more 20's but I don't have enough heaters or filters.  Then I thought about getting a couple 55's and putting dividers in them.  If I do that then I can get away with less heaters and filters.  I figure one heater and one filter per 55.  My other dilemma is if I get a couple 55's I don't know if I should divide them in half or thirds.  What would you suggest?

Mugwump

Hit up Petco's $1 per gallon sale and all of them ....LOL...heaters are cheap at Jehmco or Ken's...myself, I'd get a couple 20's for pairs and 55's for grow out....a spawn tanks a bit of space to grow nicely....lights...Lowe's for a $10 shop light....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I Have a divide 90 and I have two heaters in there. the filter is a wet/dry for both sides. You could also get cheap heaters on ebay. I got a 200w heaters for 10 dollars with free shipping. I also use sponge filters on my 20 gallon tanks. There cheap and work good. I think the 20s are easier to do water changes on. also things are cheaper for smaller tanks. I just went to petco today and got a 20 high   
Scott

jennd

Decisions, decisions.   :-\

BallAquatics

I just picked up 6 Aqueon heaters at Ken's.  They are on sale.....

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/150-watt-aqueon-heater.html

Aqueon heaters are guaranteed for life.  Order over $100 and shipping is free!  That's what I did..... big box of goodies showed up yesterday.   ;D ;D ;D

I've got a couple 55's with HMF filters in the middle as tank dividers..... more bang for your buck!

Dennis

jennd

I think I figured out what I am going to do.  I am going to go with a couple 55's and use dividers.  The reason for that is because I already have stands for 55's.  I would need stands for 20's.  I also have a 65 that I am in the process of resealing.  I just don't know if I want to use a 55 or 65 for grow out.  I guess I could use both.  One 55 will be divided to start since I only have two pairs that I want to spawn right now.

Dennis, what you have pictured is what I was thinking but I wasn't quite sure what to use for a divider.  Did you get the HMF filters from swisstropicals.com like what it says in the picture?

b125killer

I like the Aqueon pro Heaters.  Nearly indestructible. Durable aluminum core. No glass components. But they cost a bit more.
That's a good ideal with the HMF filters. I tried using a divider that I got from the LFS once the thing sucked. It couldn't stop a fish from getting around it for nothing.
Scott

ilroost

Aqueon pro are great heaters, i use those and fluval

BallAquatics

Quote from: jennd on April 05, 2013, 06:24:49 PM
Dennis, what you have pictured is what I was thinking but I wasn't quite sure what to use for a divider.  Did you get the HMF filters from swisstropicals.com like what it says in the picture?

Yes.  I usually buy full sheets of foam and then cut it for whatever I need, but Stephan has kits for almost any application.  One great thing about using it as a divider is when you don't need the tank divided, you just move it to one end like a normal HMF.  I started using this stuff back in 2009 and now I have all my tanks using it in one way or another.

There is lots of great info @ swisstropicals.com and if you still have questions just send Stephan an email.  He's a great guy and avid aquarist.

Dennis

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mugwump on April 05, 2013, 04:14:29 PM
Hit up Petco's $1 per gallon sale and all of them ....LOL...heaters are cheap at Jehmco or Ken's...myself, I'd get a couple 20's for pairs and 55's for grow out....a spawn tanks a bit of space to grow nicely....lights...Lowe's for a $10 shop light....
When is the $1 sale start?
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on April 08, 2013, 11:23:07 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 05, 2013, 04:14:29 PM
When is the $1 sale start?

It's on now....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Well how did I miss that!?! Do you know when it ends? I won't have any money til fri lol
Josh

Mugwump

I thought it ran til, either they ran out..or about April 27th???????
Jon

Jdmcfast

Josh

jennd

I am picking up the 55's this weekend.  Would you recommend the 2" or 3" Poret foam for dividers?  I have the oppurtunity to meet Stephan this next weekend at a local club meeting.  He will bring the foam with him so no shipping! 

Also is there something similar and cheaper to the Poret foam?

Jenn