• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

Hose Attachment

Started by PaulineMi, April 04, 2013, 07:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

The guy at Home Depot really helped me out today. I was trying to find a way to refill my tanks without having to hold the hose ad nauseum.  He gave me some ideas and must have noticed that the suggestions weren't registering.  He said "Would you like me to make something for you?".  Ha....of course!!!!! 

Here's what he made....all for under $10.  Now I have to remember to keep an eye on water levels.  No flooding allowed.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

cool.......I use a clamp.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I started out looking for a clamp and couldn't find anything.  And not knowing what I was doing didn't help.  Lol.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Looks good Pauline.  Next time your by WalMart pickup a "Hose Shut Off Valve" and you can turn the water on and off from your new toy!

Dennis

PaulineMi

Good idea Dennis.  I'll do that.

Frank The Plumber

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BillT

I would be tempted to use either a float valve to turn the water off before it overflows or a mechanical hose flow timer (which I use for my plant watering system) where you can crank in the amount of time you want it to run for and it turns off after that time period. The second would be the easiest. It could go either where the hose starts or between the hose and your device. The first would involve less guessing.

PaulineMi

I'm thinking I'll just have to babysit this because a pump is running the water from an aging barrel to the tank.

Frank I looked at those clamps at Home Depot. I thought they'd crush the hose when clamped to the tank.

BillT

An alternative would be a float switch in the tank receiving the water which would turn off the pump at a defined level.
It could be attached to your device I suppose, but it may get a bit complicated with the wires and all.

shatanka

I know a float valve has been mentioned, but I was wondering if a float valve that is used in horses water troughs would work? I am not sure but is this what Frank mentioned?? 
There are no wires or anything.  Here are a few different types that I can find via the web-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Float-Valve-for-Livestock-Tanks-Water-Trough-Dog-Horse-Cattle-Auto-Filler-/150937097795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23248d5643

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=23156

http://disabilityworktools.com/shop-by-tool-type/pets-livestock/horses/water-tank-float-valve/

BillT

Generally, if you are using a pump to move the water, it is not a good idea to shutdown the flow with a valve. It could burn out the pump.
There may be certain types of pumps that don't have this problem but I think it is generally true for centrifugal pumps.

Mugwump

She's just filling multiple tanks with a hose....not setting up water system. I use a plug adapter/remote switch that you carry with you...just plug the pump into the adapter and click to turn the pump off/on as you go from tank to tank....about $15 at Lowes..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

QuoteI use a plug adapter/remote switch that you carry with you...just plug the pump into the adapter and click to turn the pump off/on as you go from tank to tank....about $15 at Lowes..

That sounds handy.

PaulineMi

I use a Christmas tree on/off switch that you tap with your foot. The remote control wouldn't work on this pump.

How soon after the glue dries can I use the hose attachment?  I've been running water through it into the sink.  As far as I can tell the glue smell is gone.

BillT

Glue solvent is bad for fish. It causes kidney damage.
When the smell is gone and the glue is dry it should be OK. Dried glue is non-toxic.