• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 12:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 530
Total: 530

Moved fish

Started by LizStreithorst, September 04, 2015, 07:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Got the HB x Blue Silver fry moved from a 60 wide to a 100 yesterday.  I didn't realize how packed in they were until I got them into the 100.  Good thing I'm a water changing fool.

Moved the Discus fry with their huge compliment of snots to a 60 wide.  I thought that catching the snots would be a bitch but I scooped one up with a netful of Discus and the rest were on the sponge filter.  I unhooked the filter, netted it and got the entire batch!

Tomorrow I will move dots.  That will be difficult.  They're still just little dots but there are a gazillion of them.  They're to tiny to do a WC on.  I'd suck half of them up.  I bred the pair in a 20 with a low water level and since the fry became free swimming all I've done is added water.  I'm going to move them into a 60 with clean water again at a low level and just add more until they get large enough for me to feel safe doing a WC.  I may add some of their old nasty water because it's what they're used to.   Dang worthless fish.  I don't know why I'm so enamored of them.  They're only drop dead gorgeous when they're in their breeding colors.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 04, 2015, 07:35:46 PM
Got the HB x Blue Silver fry moved from a 60 wide to a 100 yesterday.  I didn't realize how packed in they were until I got them into the 100.  Good thing I'm a water changing fool.

Moved the Discus fry with their huge compliment of snots to a 60 wide.  I thought that catching the snots would be a bitch but I scooped one up with a netful of Discus and the rest were on the sponge filter.  I unhooked the filter, netted it and got the entire batch!

Tomorrow I will move dots.  That will be difficult.  They're still just little dots but there are a gazillion of them.  They're to tiny to do a WC on.  I'd suck half of them up.  I bred the pair in a 20 with a low water level and since the fry became free swimming all I've done is added water.  I'm going to move them into a 60 with clean water again at a low level and just add more until they get large enough for me to feel safe doing a WC.  I may add some of their old nasty water because it's what they're used to.   Dang worthless fish.  I don't know why I'm so enamored of them.  They're only drop dead gorgeous when they're in their breeding colors.

It sounds like the snots are using the sponge as a food source???....whatcha feed'n em??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Zucchini.  They like it but they like the sponge, too.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 04, 2015, 07:55:39 PM
Zucchini.  They like it but they like the sponge, too.

they'll, also, eat Bob's small foods too.....teenie greenie, egg foo young, etc.....cucumber, it you run out of zucchini too...they love micro worms ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The discus get teenie greenie and since I over feed their is enough for the snots, too..  I've never done micro worms.  I'll google around and see what I can find out.

Rjb3

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 04, 2015, 08:08:04 PM
The discus get teenie greenie and since I over feed their is enough for the snots, too..  I've never done micro worms.  I'll google around and see what I can find out.

I could send you some . . . . . . .

LizStreithorst

sending a pm, My Captain ;D

LizStreithorst

I moved the Dots, at least until I got tired of trying to net them up.  Then I put my nicest Betta in their old tank. He saw the fry, but boy is he ever slow.  He hunts but he I haven't seen him snag the first Dot.  Maybe I'll let him go hungry for a day or two and see if he can figure out how to catch a meal.  It's those damn long fins that are so pretty that make him so slow.  If he's smart he'll figure out a way.  He sure does like that dirty old tank.  The Snots like it too.  Go figure.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 05, 2015, 11:29:09 PM
I moved the Dots, at least until I got tired of trying to net them up.  Then I put my nicest Betta in their old tank. He saw the fry, but boy is he ever slow.  He hunts but he I haven't seen him snag the first Dot.  Maybe I'll let him go hungry for a day or two and see if he can figure out how to catch a meal.  It's those damn long fins that are so pretty that make him so slow.  If he's smart he'll figure out a way.  He sure does like that dirty old tank.  The Snots like it too.  Go figure.

Most folks frown on it, but I like some algae in the tank...BN's and even most fry graze on it....keep the water clean and you have a healthy tank..
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 06, 2015, 06:04:42 AM
Most folks frown on it, but I like some algae in the tank...BN's and even most fry graze on it....keep the water clean and you have a healthy tank..

+1

Dennis

ilroost

Same here Jon. I scrape the front and sides but never the back