• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 05:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 542
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 533
Total: 533

Got my guppies!

Started by LizStreithorst, August 29, 2015, 02:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I picked them up at the Post Office this morning before work, got then home and tanked, tossed them a small amount of BBS, and hustled to get to work on time.  Now that I'm back home and had some time to look at them carefully I really really like them.  I'm going to be needing more tanks when I have fry :o
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

That's great !!...have fun.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

thats a big problem we get a few  new fish and BOOM we need so many more tanks for the kids to grow in

LizStreithorst

But these are small fish and they don't require large tanks :)

wsantia1

Good luck with your Guppies Liz. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

Good luck with the guppies. They are fun.

But these are small fish and they don't require large tanks :)

Doing livebearers can require lots of tanks though.

Some of the phenotypes are graded not all of just on or off. This requires choosing among the progeny each generation and separating some to breed the next generation.

Females can store sperm so it good to separate the sexes before they start breeding (as juveniles), if you want to get progeny only from the cross you set-up..

LizStreithorst

Thanks Willie and Bill.  The albinos, especially  the blue ones really turn me on.

Ron Sower

Many years ago I bought a trio of an award winning guppy strain from from Lou Wasserman out of Van Nuys, CA. At that time he was a noted guppy breeder and won just about every gupy competition there was. One of the things that he promoted when he sold guppies is to feed the fry every 2 hours, but only a little bit at a time. It produced fast growth and strong fish. It makes sense really, because most parents feed their young very often through the day.

So when I got up in the mornings I fed them a couple times before I went to work and when I go home i immediately went to the fish room and started feeding them every 1.5-2 hours until I went to bed.

It's good that today we have foods like that which Repashy makes. They can graze on it all day long just like they would in nature. (I wonder how long a delta tail guppy would survive in nature???)

I looked up information about him on line a few months ago. Seems like he got out of the hobby/business because he had done and won all there was. I suppose he was bored.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

big b

Quote from: Ron Sower on August 30, 2015, 10:00:41 AMI looked up information about him on line a few months ago. Seems like he got out of the hobby/business because he had done and won all there was. I suppose he was bored.
Aww really? He could have made some good money on his guppies if he had continued to win contests and sell them.

LizStreithorst

Hey, My Captain, the guppies really like the Bug.

Rjb3

LMK when you're ready for powdered food.