• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 11:39:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 423
Total: 423

Bruno's going to school

Started by LizStreithorst, September 02, 2017, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Obedience classes start Wed night.  He doesn't need them classes to make him more obedient.  He needs them to help with his self confidence.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 02, 2017, 11:15:47 AM
Obedience classes start Wed night.  He doesn't need them classes to make him more obedient.  He needs them to help with his self confidence.

.....cool..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

When my wife was young she went to a school called "White Gloves and Party Manners". LOL

She is not perfectly polite and properly poised... so it did no good...  she did grow up in Texas.

Dan

LizStreithorst

This is not that kind of school.  I've trained smart ones and stupid ones.  They like the special attention they get from me with all the other dogs and owners around.   I make sure that the dogs know I'm proud of them.  Plus, they get a tasty treat every time they do the slightest thing right.  They enjoy their 15 minutes of practice that none of the other dogs get to share with them.  The entire experience is positive.

After this class ends there will be another.  I need to do something about Cha Cha next.

wallace

Attention is like a nutritional requirement for a healthy mind... people too.
Dan

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 02, 2017, 11:37:47 AM

.....cool..... |^|

I loved going to obedience class at the Fox Valley Dog Training Club https://www.fvdtc.org/ with Kobe. We continued to go even after we finished because we enjoyed working through the exercises. Sadly there are no clubs like that in this area.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 03, 2017, 07:50:11 AM

.....cool..... |^|

I loved going to obedience class at the Fox Valley Dog Training Club https://www.fvdtc.org/ with Kobe. We continued to go even after we finished because we enjoyed working through the exercises. Sadly there are no clubs like that in this area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Delaware+Dog+Training+Club&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 03, 2017, 07:52:07 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on September 03, 2017, 07:50:11 AM

.....cool..... |^|

https://www.google.com/search?q=Delaware+Dog+Training+Club&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I went by there when I first got here. It wasn't what I was looking for. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

My trainer lady is very good.  Not all of them are.   But there are always people in the class who don't understand how to get the most from their dog.  For me it's second nature.  Dogs are my life.  A large part of grooming involves understanding the mind of the individual dogs and teaching it how to right based on their personalities.  I know that Bruno will come to enjoy it and look forward to it.  He will be so proud of himself for having done well.

LizStreithorst

Bruno went to his first class tonight.  I thought we'd have to miss is but Cha Cha was doing so much better that I didn't mind keeping her at home caged for a couple of hours.  He was timid, of course, but he got to enjoying himself.  We learned to sit, walk by my left side, come, and watch.  We'll practice at home this week.  Prehaps by next week he'll have built enough confidence in himself for us to practice in Ellisville.

LizStreithorst

Bruno and I play training every day for about 10 minutes.  I want it to be fun for him so I keep the sessions short and happy.  At first I had to trap him to catch him but he's becoming easier to catch.  He always runs when he's afraid that something bad might happen.  Such a timid boy...Today he hid under the bed when he saw the leash and I said, "Bruno, lets train!"  Then I said, "Bruno, you know I'm going to catch you anyway" and he jumped up on the bed and let me put the lead on him.

He is so smart and very treat oriented and wants so much to do right.  We make progress every time we train.  He's learning that it's fun.  I'm so proud of him.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 10, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
Bruno and I play training every day for about 10 minutes.  I want it to be fun for him so I keep the sessions short and happy.  At first I had to trap him to catch him but he's becoming easier to catch.  He always runs when he's afraid that something bad might happen.  Such a timid boy...Today he hid under the bed when he saw the leash and I said, "Bruno, lets train!"  Then I said, "Bruno, you know I'm going to catch you anyway" and he jumped up on the bed and let me put the lead on him.

He is so smart and very treat oriented and wants so much to do right.  We make progress every time we train.  He's learning that it's fun.  I'm so proud of him.

....he's a smart dog......he trades wit with you as a game.....I like that in dogs.....they know that besides being fun for him.....he's pleasing you....
Jon

LizStreithorst

You nailed it perfectly, Mug.  He wants nothing more than to please.  It has always been hard for him to please his former humans because their life was always in a state of chaos and they were unpredictable.

I know that George Bush said, "I looked in his eyes and saw his soul."  He was mistaken.  When I looked into Bruno's eyes for the first time I saw his soul.  Dogs don't lie.

LizStreithorst

I was supposed to take Bruno in for his Rabies when I went to pick up Cha Cha.  He had gotten better about me catching him but he was outside and he knew that something was up that might be unpleasant so there was no catching him this time.  The poor boy.  He got a bad start in life.  It's not his fault.

Dr. Karen had already left for the day but Dr. Sara was there.  I used to work with her, too.  I asked if I could speak to her.  She came out to the reception area.  I motioned her into the exam room and closed the door.  I told her that I was going to ask her to do something that she was not allowed to do.  She closed the door to the exam room.  I told her the Bruno story.  I said that Trish, the trainer, let it slide the first week but I needed to have it for the second class.  I asked her if she would give me the injection and fill out the paperwork saying that she had done it.  She laughed at me in the most friendly way.  She said that she would deputize me. 

I wanted to do the right thing but it worked out for the best for Bruno.  I hated to take him somewhere for something unpleasant.  I got to do it myself, at home, where he is most at ease.  He was on the bed.  I grabbed the syringe, and put it in my back pocket.  I walked into the bedroom and looked at him without him knowing I was looking at him.  I sat sat down on the bed and petted him and told him that he was a good boy.  I took the syringe, pinched the skin on his neck, and gave him the shot.  It was only 1 cc from a 22 gauge needle, and it only took a moment but I could tell that he felt it and he didn't run.  He trusted me instead.  I made such a big fuss over him.  He was wanting belly rubbing and tummy kissing so I did that ::)

My greatest hope is to get Bruno to trust me.  I don't care if he's leary of others.  I have to get him to trust me.  If I can't get him to the point where I can't walk up to him and put a leash on him I will have failed him

Ron Sower

...I believe you are truly a dog whisperer, Liz.... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron