• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 03:02:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 643
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Tuesday's go see puppies coffee...

Started by Mugwump, July 19, 2016, 05:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Mugwump

..great looking dogs !!...that's an arm full....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

He lived in Rockford at the time,the wrong side. :)
They were very protective,if anyone ever tried to break in they were in for a world of hurt.
All gone now,the oldest lived to 15-16 i think it was.

BallAquatics

Quote from: ghonk on July 21, 2016, 07:44:45 AM
All gone now,the oldest lived to 15-16 i think it was.

WOW, that's ancient for a BIG dog.

Dennis

ghonk

I'm pretty sure that's what he told me,if not close to it.
He couldn't really get around much before he died.
I was reading about some dogs recently,if i remember correctly bullmastiffs and danes only live to be 8-9 years old.
I was surprised,i know some large breeds don't live as long,but figured in would be a little longer then that.

Mugwump

Abby was 13 going on 14 when she left us...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Our Rotties only lasted around 10 years.  By then I was working from home so they had served their purpose well.

Dennis

ghonk

I wonder why there is such a difference in some of the large breeds compared to the smaller ones,got to google and see how long wolfs live.

BillT

Don't know specifically about dogs, but longevity generally goes with number of heart beats in a lifespan.
The smaller the animals the faster the heart beat and therefore the shorter the lifespan.
On top of that, dogs strains, many which are somewhat inbred, could well carry genetic traits affecting lifespan.

wsantia1

Quote from: BillT on July 21, 2016, 10:50:50 PM
Don't know specifically about dogs, but longevity generally goes with number of heart beats in a lifespan.
The smaller the animals the faster the heart beat and therefore the shorter the lifespan.
On top of that, dogs strains, many which are somewhat inbred, could well carry genetic traits affecting lifespan.

In dogs it usually works the opposite. Smaller dogs generally live longer that larger dogs.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

I think I read somewhere it has to do with how fast they grow.  Our male Rottie weighed 8 pounds when we brought him home at 8 weeks old.  In the next 16 months he grew to be 130 pounds heavier and about 15 times bigger over-all.

Dennis