• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 03:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 557
Total: 557

Flu shots...

Started by Mugwump, September 14, 2016, 04:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

We stopped and got our flu shots at Walgreen's yesterday......anyone else get the yearly shots?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I got an email from Walgreen's to come in. Not feeling to great the last couple of days so I'll wait until whatever ails passes. I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection. I usually get two sinus infections a year around the spring and fall seasonal changes. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wallace

I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last 10 years or so. Some years their formula doesn't hit the target that well but overall they are good. Flu virus is always mutating so the science behind it involves some chance. I don't bother to get it until later.

Dan

LizStreithorst

I refuse to get one for no logical reason.  I'm sure I'll start getting vaccinated after get it and suffer.  Till then, I'll trust in my immune system.  It has always been strong.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 14, 2016, 05:25:07 PM
I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last 10 years or so. Some years their formula doesn't hit the target that well but overall they are good. Flu virus is always mutating so the science behind it involves some chance. I don't bother to get it until later.

Seniors get the high potency shot, over 65....it's worked so far with us...even with all the g'kids going to different schools and giving us hugs/kisses...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I'm like Liz. I have never gotten a Flu shot and don't intend to. Seems like a waste to me. If you get the flu you are sick for a few days and then it goes away. I can live with that. The shots are for last years flu anyway, this years strain will go right by them.  Can anyone prove to me if the shots ever prevented you from getting the flu? And "I never got the flu" isn't proof.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

I get fewer flu's than I did before getting the shots. Thats not proof, but its something. I got the flu once in my 20's that led to pneumonia and it damn near killed me... so I don't fool around with it.
Dan

wsantia1

It's been a long time since I've had the flu. I get a shot every year but I am around sick kids a lot with the grands spending lots of time around me. Just another protective barrier and I get it for free.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

No shot yet. Will get one later.

The flu vaccine is not made against last years flu. It is made against what they think will be the flu for the upcoming year. Its an educated guess based on what strains are going around when they make their decision, and therefore not always correct. Last year's was off as I recall. I didn't get that one.

Flu is supposed to last 7 to 10 days.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 14, 2016, 07:52:38 PM
No shot yet. Will get one later.

The flu vaccine is not made against last years flu. It is made against what they think will be the flu for the upcoming year. Its an educated guess based on what strains are going around when they make their decision, and therefore not always correct. Last year's was off as I recall. I didn't get that one.

Flu is supposed to last 7 to 10 days.

...that's 7-10 days if you're lucky....plus the effects can linger for weeks.....I used to catch it once in awhile...since the flu shots, zilch....plus I got the ine time senior pneumonia shot..?....needles have never bothered me.....just stick me with the juice and let me get on with my day....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Not me.  I'll get the vaccs after I get sick and suffer.  I'm hoping that I will be struck by lightening and my ashes scattered before I get big terrible sick.
Always move forward. Never look back.