• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 20, 2024, 06:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,359
  • Total Topics: 18,544
  • Online today: 779
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 778
Total: 778

Angelfish questions

Started by JR, May 25, 2014, 03:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I know I was told to buy as large as I can. I found some Blue Pinoy Veil Widefin dime size. My questions are.
1 How long would it take to reach breeding size.
2 Do you think i would get at least one breeding pair out of a dozen or should I buy more.
3 What would be the best to feed them at that size
4 or should I just pass
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

My hb's that went free swimming 11/24/13  have been forming pairs and laying eggs starting about a month ago.
Unless you are terribly unlucky you should get several pairs.  Buy more if you want more to choose the best pairs from.
I'd pack them full of BBS and live CBW's.  Mosquito larvae are a great live food as well.  Also, introduce a commercial food.  Most folks used cursed flake.
If you are impressed with the look of the parents don't pass.  If you're not, pass.

This is just what I would do.  It is not law.   
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Dimes are ok....a dozen, or two, should get ya some pairs...if 12, start em in a 20 gal...if 24, start em in a 29/30 gal.........feed bbs, and crushed flake....find out if they're already eating the crushed flake...they may not??...no biggie, use bbs and start their first daily feeding with a little crushed flake ..sink it with your pinkie if ya want?..micro worms work good too...then try the mini pellets, small pieces of blood worms and black worms....just think variety.....the important thing is getting them on the crushed flake, and still feeding the bbs, until they get to about nickel+ size...then experiment to get them to eat other foods too...at this stage toss in a couple cory's/bn to help clean up any excess food that falls to the bottom.....bbs dies off pretty quickly...

breeding size...6-8 mos...some a bit longer...

I'd agree with Liz too....look at the parents if you can....get their genetics if the breeder knows it??

If you like em, get em...good luck ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Going to get 24. I like these
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on May 25, 2014, 05:16:54 PM
Going to get 24. I like these

Super........when I said breeding size, I should have said maturity....size varies....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson