• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 09:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 762
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 760
Total: 760

Up and at 'em

Started by BallAquatics, November 29, 2016, 04:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

Damn dog barked half the night. This place is teeming with deer and varmints that roam around at night, and if he gets a whiff or hears something it sets him off. I'm going to set up the game cam, or go out tonight with a shotgun and flashlight and blast it. Its most likely a raccoon or skunk in the berry vines near his pen. We also can try one of those havahart traps.
Dan

LizStreithorst

It got up to 83 today.  Can you believe it?  The weather folks were wrong about the rain yesterday.  We got enough to settle the dust.  I didn't even have to dump water from the horses' feed bowls this morning.  It sure did blow, though.  I no longer have to sweep the leaves off my roof.  A customer said the acorns were hitting her tin roof so fast and hard it sounded like someone was shooting with a machine gun.

They say it will rain tonight.  They say that we'll get 3/4".  I'll believe it when I see it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..they're talking snow/flurries?..tomorrow night...then an inch?..for swap Sunday....and then 3"-5" next week.....and, of course, some rain in between...who knows huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Raining all day here. I did water changes but interrupted them whenever the rain slowed down enough to get Kobe out. He loves water when he is swimming in it or rolling in a muddy puddle but he hates the rain and getting baths. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ilroost

Dang Jon, that many scoops? Bet you can stand a spoon in your coffee.lol  To strong for me

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on November 29, 2016, 01:42:34 PM
Damn dog barked half the night. This place is teeming with deer and varmints that roam around at night, and if he gets a whiff or hears something it sets him off. I'm going to set up the game cam, or go out tonight with a shotgun and flashlight and blast it. Its most likely a raccoon or skunk in the berry vines near his pen. We also can try one of those havahart traps.

Can you not keep him in the house at night or is he a livestock guardian.  Is this Rooster doing the barking?  Is he an Anatolian Shepherd?  He looks like one.

wallace

Yes, he's the Anatolian whose purpose is to protect the animals. We have tried bringing him in when he does this. Doesn't work, there is whining and more barking. I won't have a dog that barks at night, so we will have to figure something out.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Bark collars are said to work.  They don't shock the dog.  They emit static electricity which is uncomfortable to it.  I have never used them myself but it might be worth a try. 

This is a better idea!  What about just turning him loose at night?  My thinking is that if he is bonded to the farm animals he will run the critters off with minimal barking and then return to watch and protect.  My crew has access to both inside and outside the house day and night.  The only time they have barked all night long was when one of them found an armadillo digging a hole for itself.  They couldn't run it off so they barked until I got disgusted and went out with the flash light and found out what was going on.  I just balled them out and ordered them back inside the house and they were silent for the rest of the night.

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on November 29, 2016, 07:21:46 PM
Yes, he's the Anatolian whose purpose is to protect the animals. We have tried bringing him in when he does this. Doesn't work, there is whining and more barking. I won't have a dog that barks at night, so we will have to figure something out.

...he seems to be doing what he was bred to do.....protect.....good luck... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Tonight we are going to let him out to run loose. Maybe if he finds out what it is, or isn't, he will settle down.

Jon - we were told this breed is not a barking type... maybe its just a phase... yes please, just a phase.
Dan

LizStreithorst

They herd, too!  With the other livestock breeds they are either bred to herd or to protect.  This is the only breed I've heard of that did both.   I'd like to know if it's true. 

They are rather plain dogs.  One will never take the group at Westminster.  They are easily mistaken for a big mutt.  That is a good sign.  The serious breeders might be more interested in function rather than flash.  Strange thing for a dog groomer who worships the "breed standard" to say huh

LizStreithorst

I want turning him loose to work.  Let us know in the morning, please.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wallace on November 29, 2016, 01:42:34 PM... We also can try one of those havahart traps.

Havaharts ar okay until you catch a skunk...!!! huh
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wallace

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 29, 2016, 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: wallace on November 29, 2016, 01:42:34 PM... We also can try one of those havahart traps.

Havaharts ar okay until you catch a skunk...!!! huh

That can be a problem, Ron. I have used long poles to lift the cage into the back of the truck for a little drive, or threw an old blanket or tarp over the top. The idea is you take it up the road closer to your neighbor's house..LOL
Dan

LizStreithorst

It isn't that big a deal when a dog gets skunked unless he jumps in bed with you in the middle of the night.  My Standard Poodle, Luther did that to me once.  He dislocated a hip going after rats when he and I first came home to an abandon house after being away for 4 years.  He wasn't a barker but that Poodle could hunt.

There are excellent skunk shampoos and one home remedy that work very well (no, not tomato juice).  I'd rather give a dog a proper bath than use a long stick to haul off a stinking skunk.

Dan, don't give up on leaving him loose if he gets sprayed.  He'll learn.