• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 01:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 632
Total: 632

computer help. please

Started by LizStreithorst, July 25, 2014, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've had this new laptop for months, but just today got the nerve to set it up.  It's stressful for me because it's new and different.  I loved my old PS and the operating system that is no longer supported.  Now I have this little thing with windows 8 >:(

I need to know how to make the letters larger.  I did it on my lap top at work but either this one is different or I can't remember what I did. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Never mind.  I just figured it out.  I hate this damn thing.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2014, 07:23:52 PM
Never mind.  I just figured it out.  I hate this damn thing.

LOL.....there might be a setting for the 'Classic' look...under start/settings/task bar start settings...take a look.....what was your other operating system???....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I think it was called windows NT.  I was so happy with it.  I wanted to keep it forever because it worked very well and was second nature to me.

I hate this.  despite the fact that they say it's better, I don't see how.  I know I'll change my mind in time.

ilroost

The windows 8 thing i hate!! My old computer was windows vista and there is so much new to learn with windows8. I'm not much for change

Mugwump

he he...I'm still running XP.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Barb just tried to teach me how to copy and past with 8.  I still can't do it.  I hate this thing.

I'd have stuck with NT if I could have but my PC is so old I was starting to fear that the hard drive was gonna crash on me so I needed something new.  Besides my virus protection no longer worked once NT was no longer supported.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 26, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
Barb just tried to teach me how to copy and past with 8.  I still can't do it.  I hate this thing.

I'd have stuck with NT if I could have but my PC is so old I was starting to fear that the hard drive was gonna crash on me so I needed something new.  Besides my virus protection no longer worked once NT was no longer supported.

'copy and paste' is the same as NT was.....right click copy, right click paste.. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

So I have been told, but it doesn't work for me.  Makes me feel as dumb as a stump.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 26, 2014, 08:18:27 PM
So I have been told, but it doesn't work for me.  Makes me feel as dumb as a stump.

??????????????????????? ;D ....what do you see for a menu when you right click?....'copy'?...right?....if you're copying text, highlight the text, right click and copy....place the cursor where you want the text....left click to place it there...then right click and paste.... if copying a hyper link....put cursor on the link, right click 'copy'..yada yada.....if not a hyper link....highlight, and copy...yada yada...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 26, 2014, 06:01:47 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 26, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

'copy and paste' is the same as NT was.....right click copy, right click paste.. ;D

OK, so I AM as dumb as a stump.  I put copying and pasting out of my mind for a couple of days and suddenly it became second nature.  I'm starting to like this thing and it's Windows 8 more.  I'm not in love with it, though.  The touch pad sometimes does unexpected things on me.

Mugwump

Get a decent wireless mouse.....you'll love it  ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know.  I had a decent one from the Dollar Store in town that I loved.  Alas, it fell off the desk too many times and it no longer right clicks.  I much prefer a mouse to the touch pad.

Mugwump

I've seen good ones at 'Wallyworld' too....or even a Target, Best Buy, yada yada..
Jon