• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 02:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 624
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 626
Total: 626

Septicemia?

Started by Jdmcfast, June 19, 2013, 09:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

I have two of my wild crosses that are showing mild redness coloring in the nose area and base of the dorsal fin. There is not really any what I would consider streaking, just red areas. Also I never saw any fungus or white spring that sometimes occurs with these symptoms. They are acting normal in every other way. I have them in a QT tank and did pp treatment yesterday and plan on doing big 60-90% WC daily along with angels plus anti biotic food. Any other suggestions? Other people dealt with this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

LizStreithorst

How old are they?  I may be talking out of my hat.  I really know nothing aboout Angels, but I've seen mine develop that when they are fixing to spawn.  I freaked and treated with tetracycline when I first saw it.  It did nothing and the fish remained healthy, so now I just ignore it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Some fish are real sensitive to ammonia and nitrates, I've only had some occasional light redness on some plats, where it's more noticeable. Lots of clean water helps take it away....were they stressed, for some reason ???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I had septicemia in a small zebrafish recirc system in the past. It looked like reddish tissue at the base of the fins and nose area. This only happened when the UV failed (there was a lot of fish in the system), making it a water quality issue. It was probably from bacteria shed by the biofilter.
I would fix the UV and do a big water change.
I never tried antibiotics due to the biofilter.

I have also seem a reddish nose area in fish that had mycobacteria (vet diagnosed by histology (microscope slides)).
There is no treatment for this.