• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 08:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 501
Total: 501

Filling tanks

Started by JC, September 18, 2014, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

So I moved my tanks to another part of my basement and had to reroute my draining tubes (PVC uprights on stand to drain water into that carries it to drain) and was thinking it would be nice if I could route my water to refill my tanks. What I do now is fill a 35gal trash can and have a hose attached to a water pump and pump it to my tanks in the other room. I'd like something more semi permanent and was thinking of running PVC along the walls over to my tanks then putting a hose on the end to be able to get to each tank. My only concern is what about any water left in the PVC because it all won't get pushed out and how would I sanitize it every once in a while. Any thoughts??

Mugwump

You've seen my big tub, submersible pump and food safe hose....I use the remote shut off switch and go from tank to tank and fill....works for me .....pump it out, pump it back in.....

others will have favorite methodology too........Aron's got a nice rig for water changing, he'll chime in soon I'm sure....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Mine is similar to yours with on/off controlled by remote except on a smaller scale, I use a plastic trash can instead of the big tub you use. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is not having to roll out and roll up my 30' hose and have something a little more permanent

LizStreithorst

I have all my tanks hard plumbed for incoming water.  I've never worried about the left over water in the pipes.
Always move forward. Never look back.

P4Angels

I have an over flow system with 2" PVC that runs around the room. I have all the tanks drilled as overflows and clear tubing to connect the to.  Water comes from under the sink with a T splitter (the ones you use for ice makers on refrigerators) with a cut off switch net T splitter.  I used the garden spaghetti (black hose) hose that connects to a out door water timer for plants.  I have it set to run 30min every 4 hours. that gives me a total of 20 % water change with out a drastic effects to the water temps. The exit PVC runs out side though a hole in the wall.  In WA it only really freezes more then 1 to 2 weeks a year and I have never had it freeze or clog.

Now for the other room we have a 50' long campers hose (white that we hooked to a 150 lph pump.   During the summer months we run is out the window added a sprinkler to the other end and use it watered the yard with it...  Neighbors keep asking me what I do it it to look so green... HA!!!!!!!  During the winter months we run the hose to the bath tub...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Yes, very nice room Liz.  I wish mine was as tidy.

Dennis