• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 07:54:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 410
Total: 410

This Damn Tank

Started by LizStreithorst, April 25, 2014, 08:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have resiliconed tanks in the past.  I even rebuilt a 100 gallon with a cracked front glass.  This 120 gallon with a cracked side glass, that I got for nothing, 'bout has me whupped.  I replaced the glass and it held for a while and then started leaking.   Next I did a fast and dirty repair without scraping off the silicone.  It held for a while and then started leaking.  Next I did a perfect job, let the silicone set for 72 hrs, filled the tank and let it sit for a week before I put it in place and put fish in it.  Yesterday, just as I walked into the fish room it sprung a leak!

I got 2 of these 120's with a cracked side panel.  The other one has been fine.  I remember that one tank was more difficult to repair that the other.  On one I had to use clamps to hold together when I siliconed it.  Someone here, may be Dennis, may be Frank, told me that glass does not bend, that I shouldn't have needed clamps, and that the glass was cut wrong.  I've started thinking that the glass was cut wrong enough to make repairing this tank futile.  On the other hand this is a 120 and it is a sin to trash a 120.  I don't know whether I should try the repair once again and be disappointed once again,  break the entire tank down into 5 pieces of glass and take them into my excellent local glass place and have them check the pieces of glass are cut, or just throw the damn thing away and forget it ever existed.  Going out and buying a new one is out of the question.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...double pane the end section???....put in one at a time....might work???...reduces the water pressure on the end piece exposed...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

It would be the end piece that is cut wrong.  Is it wider at the top than the bottom or vice versa?  I'm assuming it always leaks on the same end panel?

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 25, 2014, 08:42:16 PM
It would be the end piece that is cut wrong.  Is it wider at the top than the bottom or vice versa?  I'm assuming it always leaks on the same end panel?

Dennis

you can check it with a 'T' square......the pane...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I donno, gentlemen  The 2 end pieces that I got for the two 120's seemed to my touch to be identical.  The first two repairs seeped slowly from the bottom.  I don't know exactly where the leak was.   It must be from the side I repaired because when I fix it it holds for many weeks.  Last night water started spurting out from the side I repaired!  It started spurting just as I walked in!  Makes me wonder if despite by best efforts, I screwed up the repair 3 times!!!!!

I don't have a T square anymore.  I have a normal square.  I'm guessing, but I think the square is about 18" X 12"  Will that work?  If I can't fix the no good sorry mother  f***er I'll take the sledge hammer to it, smash it into a gazillion pieces, and find a use for the tiny glass pebbles.
Always move forward. Never look back.