• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 01:40:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 629
Total: 629

Female angel swimming odd

Started by jennd, July 23, 2013, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennd

One of my female angels is not right.  I noticed that she was swimming weird a couple days ago.  She is swimming with her mouth facing the surface.  She looks like she is swimming with everything she has got.  Her fins are moving fast and she seems to be breathing heavy.  She goes to the surface to eat but doesn't eat much.  Her belly isn't sunk in but it isn't the normal size either.  She is in a tank with her mate.  They are the only fish in there.  The pair has spawned 4 times in the last 3-4 weeks.  I haven't been keeping the eggs and the male has been getting upset about no fry.  I am not sure what is wrong.  Any help would be great.  Thanks

LizStreithorst

I know Discus, not Angels, but sometimes the same things apply to both.  Is the male beating her up?  If not, it could be a swim bladder problem.  If it's swim bladder it can be cured with Kanamycin, but only if it's caught early.  Hang in and don't freak.  Smart Angel people will answer you no later than tomorrow morning.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Angelfishusa

Okay,  I'd have to see a picture of the fish.  But I'd like to know if you see redness on the caudal fins, or redness around any of the fins including the dorsal near the body.
Are the fins clamped?  Have you changed anything?  Anyway, please post a picture so that I can at least have a chance at a guess.  Need a lot more information. 

jennd

The male was beating on the female a couple weeks but has stopped.  She stays at the top of the tank.  Her fins are not tore up or clamped.  I do water changes the same.  I haven't changed the food or water treatment.  The middle of her body is dark red.  It normally isn't like that.  Hopefully the pic will help.

Angelfishusa

looks like the stress lowered the immune system.  and now it has a bacterial infection.  i would move it at once to a hospital tank.  try just good clean water and see if it helps.  If it gets worse will have to start treating her.  I hate to try to diagnose a problem long distance.  but you do need to move it to a hospital tank right away.

Mugwump

I agree, she looks 'wooped' and is moppy, resistance has probably dropped. Get her to another tank with lots of clean water....Hopefully she'll mellow out and recover. She's likely done with that male now...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

jennd

She has been in a tank by herself since about 8 last night.  Did a water change also.  Today she is still in the same corner and is slowly starting to tip over backwards.  I started treating with Seachem sulfathiazole powder.  That is the only medication I have.  I don't have any pet stores around that carry fish meds.  I have to order everything online.  I don't think she is going to make but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

jennd

I just checked on the female and she didn't make it.  She was on her side on the bottom.   :(

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)