• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 604
Total: 605

Manacapuru cross

Started by Mugwump, July 03, 2013, 05:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Father a F1 Manacapuru, mother from a F1 Manacapuru X PB Silver ghost cross...I selected no 'hets' for PB, and the darkest stripping. Raised in subdued lighting to encourage dark rich stripes, it worked.... ;D..they are crowning out and some getting glitter and wild spotting ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I do like them alot. There is something about wild crosses I like.
Scott

PaulineMi

Glad to see your comment regarding subdued lighting. I lowered the lighting and put some dark slate on the bottom of the tank that houses the Manacapuru X and Rio Negro/Sta Isabel angels from you. I wondered if this was really helpful.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 03, 2013, 06:38:53 PM
Glad to see your comment regarding subdued lighting. I lowered the lighting and put some dark slate on the bottom of the tank that houses the Manacapuru X and Rio Negro/Sta Isabel angels from you. I wondered if this was really helpful.

I've found that they express with regular lighting, but 'shine' with the subdued light set up...use duckweed, for shading too, on bright bulb tanks for silver types to really make em 'pop' .... ;D....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I have a roll of nylon or polyester shade screen that I cut for shading tanks. I can add it or remove as a situation warrants....algae, new fish, now for darker bars... ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

They don't need dark tanks just a subdued natural lighting.  In brighter tanks the bars are fine, I was just experimenting because I had two batches, one normal/brighter, and one more normal, dimmer, light. They all did fine, but the dimmer tank produced the more pronounced bars. They're starting to pair up now and they get even more vivid.....as they get stimulated by the pairing actions....fun to watch. A guy from Downers Grove bought these fry at a swap, regular/bright lighting, and says his morphed really darker bars/crown too....darker than his other silvers....I think it's a 'wild' characteristic that express's more when being present in greater 'wild' gene percentages.
Jon

PaulineMi

I got my Peruvian cross angels at quarter size. They were raised with a plain fluorescent bulb that came with an old black tank hood. As pre-breeders one went into a tank that gets natural daylight and the other was in a heavily planted low tech tank with a fluorescent shop light over it. Now, at a year and a half old, they both have dark bars and red crowns. Moods affect their overall color though.

The angels from you, especially the smaller ones, are always expressing dark black bars. I'd like to give them every opportunity to stay that way. The black that extends down to the tips of their looooong anal fins is awesome!

The possible pre-breeder male tends to show his moods by lightening and darkening. I figured it would be good to let him settle in a little longer.....give him time to get the alpha attitude going.

Mugwump

Yes, I agree the subtleties are displayed by mood. I was looking for the overall barring present at the 'mellow' moments, especially during development. I've seen silvers fade under too much light and I went the other way with the lighting.  It seems to have enhanced them ....I like that rear bar too... ;D

Did any of the little ones jump out at ya yet?..when feeding....we have a few that launch...LOL...spunky little rascals.. ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

Yes!  They're like little pirahnas.  Their tank is in the far back corner of the fish room. The minute I walk through the doorway they're dancing excitedly at the top front of their tank.  Cuties.   ;D