• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 10:18:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 754
Total: 754

Can ya land on a meteor??

Started by Mugwump, November 13, 2014, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I've been following that story on both the BBC and NPR.  They landed on the rubber ducky meteor then the thing bounced and floater for a couple of hours, bounced again and finally landed with one foot at the edge of a cliff.  Last I heard it was still sending back pics and data.  I am so happy for them.  All sorts of stuff went wrong with the mission but they still succeeded.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 13, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
I've been following that story on both the BBC and NPR.  They landed on the rubber ducky meteor then the thing bounced and floater for a couple of hours, bounced again and finally landed with one foot at the edge of a cliff.  Last I heard it was still sending back pics and data.  I am so happy for them.  All sorts of stuff went wrong with the mission but they still succeeded.

There's a landing simulator on that link... ;D ...see if ya can land it.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I heard that the solar panels are facing the wrong way, no sun hitting them, so the poor thing has only enough power for a few more hours then it dies.  How very disappointing to so many  people around the world.  Me included.
Barb

PaulineMi

I landed it safely with a 75% success rate...just slightly off target.

It's truly disappointing about the solar panel issue but it's incredible that something could be landed on a meteor speeding  through space!
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on November 13, 2014, 04:36:22 PM
I landed it safely with a 75% success rate...just slightly off target.

It's truly disappointing about the solar panel issue but it's incredible that something could be landed on a meteor speeding  through space!

Funny I landed safely at a 75% rate too.  Every time  I tried it. lol ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I've been pulling for it all the way.  The thrusters didn't work and I feared it would fail.  The harpoons didn't deploy and it bounced for hours and then bounced again.  I thought that all was lost.  But the baby is sending back data.  It has overcome so much that I want it to overcome this.  It's like the little train that could.

GraphicGr8s

1st try 75% like everyone else 2nd time on target. Key is to increase speed a notch leave height all the way to the left.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

Did y'all hear?  I heard it on NPR.  They maneuvered into a place where it gets more sunlight!  They didn't give details, but this is what I've been hoping for.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2014, 08:07:54 PM
Did y'all hear?  I heard it on NPR.  They maneuvered into a place where it gets more sunlight!  They didn't give details, but this is what I've been hoping for.

Drilling for a core sample was successful too... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on November 14, 2014, 08:11:18 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2014, 08:07:54 PM

Drilling for a core sample was successful too... ;D

And it did that off it's batteries alone as far as I know.  I don't know why I care so much that this project succeed..  I think it was the spokesman than when the thing bounced for 2 hours said, all excited, that it not only landed once, it landed twice.  And then it went on to do it's job in spite of all odds.  It's the little train that can.

GraphicGr8s

Anyone remember when the US could do things like this?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

I was listening to Science Friday today and they did a story on this.
Something I found interesting they said was that the lander had some amount of mass (which I forget now), but because of the weak gravity there (1/50,000th of the Earth's), the lander's weight (force of gravity) was about the same as a piece of paper on earth.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 14, 2014, 08:40:34 PM
Anyone remember when the US could do things like this?

This is just NASA at Ames....In the US, NASA ,etc, don't get the hyped press like the international accomplishments do....

Jon